Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo leaking

2K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  sgleshot 
#1 ·
Ok, I threw up a post a week or two ago about only being able to pull 12 lbs of boost from my early 99 7.3 psd. Well tonight I got a wild hair and thought that the little plastic tube for the boost gauge might be bent, kinked, or broken, So I replaced it with copper line like one would use for an oil pressure gauge on a hot rod. I noticed that the new line made the gauge operate much smoother than the plastic line. But upon routing the line I noticed an alarmingly large amount of soot inbetween the two sides of my turbo, give me all your input and tell me what ya think, how do I fix it?

#2 ·
Up pipe are leaking. Try to give the bolts at the baby butt a turn or two first. If they don't move don't force it unless you have time to drill out a broken bolt or two. If they need replacing I would use Car Quest part #17250. They seem to work the best.

Keep Strokin

#3 ·
I'll have to post pics at the office tomorrow, I plan on replacing my up pipes, but where its leaking is where the exhaust side of the turbo mounts to the centersection of the turbo. Its hard to explain without pics, I'll post them tomorrow mornin.

#4 ·
here's the pics.

Attachments

#5 ·
dude, it looks like the top bolts are gone. Pull it before you damage the turbine wheel and inspect it!

#6 ·
now that you say that it does look like that, should there be heads for the bolts there? where do I get new gaskets and bolts and what not?

#8 ·
That was a very common problem for the 99 trucks, the bolts would slowly work out of the exhaust housing causing that... Dennis at ITP diesel sells a bolt kit with wires to keep it from happening again... Or you can Locktite them and hope for the best!

#9 ·
so can I just pull the turbo when I re-do my exhaust, put new gasket in there and some new seals while i'm at it, new bolts, smasher home and be done with it?

#10 ·
Should just need the bolts... might not need to pull the turbo since they worked themselves out while the turbo was in there! I'd say get the bolts from Dennis and locktite them things!

#11 ·
No gasket there, just get some new bolts and drive it home... A little locktite and you should be good!

#12 ·
would I need to put a new gasket in there? it looks like was pushin some soot from between the two flanges, is there even a gasket in there?

#13 ·
There is no gasket there, its a press seal...

#14 ·
gotcha:thumb: I think I'm gunna pick up some bolts from the local fastenal, anyone know what size? Thread? Length?

#15 ·
This is probably a dumb question judging by the amount of soot all over in there, but to those holes that the bolts to to make it all the way into the turbine housing? if so that would mean it would be bellowing exhaust outta there all the time correct? Now with 2 of them bolts missing, I'm almost thinking that that might help out with my low boost issue. or am I outta my mind?

#17 · (Edited)
it is releasing all your drive pressure that is needed to spin the turbo. I would pull the turbo to work on it and inspect it at the same time. But I'm anal retentive....

#18 ·
it is releasing all your backpressure that is needed to spin the turbo. I would pull the turbo to work on it and inspect it at the same time. But I'm anal retentive....
Drive pressure... but I'm not correcting you... LOL:haha:

#19 ·
Corrected just for you sweet heart!

#20 ·
well, as nuts as it seams, does anyone know what size? and length the bolts are? I just want to get something in there before I get that lock kit, I want it fixed wether it be temporary or not. anyone?

#21 ·
Ford or ITP. I do not know what size but they are flange head bolts. Sorry I can't help more.

#23 ·
And if the turbine wheel has been grinding away at the housing the wheel will be out of balance. The it starts screaming and you are dead when you are out of town in Kelowna, BC. Yeah, just throw bolts in it! Bad stuff happens when you just "throw stuff in it" so I have learned to not cut corners. But like I said earlier, I am anal about doing it right the first time. Besides, how long do you think it takes to pull the turbo? If it takes longer than an hour to R&R then you are BSing too much with the buddies.

My grandpa had a saying back home, "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it again? "

#26 ·
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it again? "

I thought that the saying was "there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it again." HA :funny:

And here is a crazy question about the bolts. Is there two more bolts on the bottom of that flange? and if so .... if ya still had one in the bottom part of the flange couldn't you just take one of those out and take it in to get 4 new ones of like size and then replace all 4 and loctite the pizz outta them?

#27 ·
The bottom front is the only one you could possible take off.

My other concern is the bottom rear bolt. It can not be accessed with the turbo on, or I should say that I could not even touch it.

#28 ·
ok, well as far as if the wheel is rubbing, its not, When I first started having the problem I pulled the intake tube off that spun the wheel by hand to see if it was binding at all and if that was the reason why my boost wasnt where it should be. There wasnt any side to side movement or contact that I could feel, thats why I ruled out the turbo for the most part to begin with. Thats why I want to "just put the bolts back in" with some locktite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.