Troubleshooting possible injector problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Troubleshooting possible injector problem

Well i know there is something going on with my truck and trying to figure out what it is. When i took my trip to Dallas for Christmas i noticed a new noise when we got there...well i landed up replacing the water pump. It was in need of being replaced but was not the complete fix. When i driving back the last 3 hours I starting hearing more metallic racket. do not know where it is coming from so i I slowed down to 65 and it quieted it down. Well I assume it is the carrier bearing so once the weather breaks here I am replacing the three ujoints and carrier bearing. Well I believe that will take care of the noise I heard at speed but not addressing the rest of the metallic sounds.

So to me it sounds like an engine knock like on a gasser but I can only hear it from inside. When I am outside it sounds fine. I pulled out the snap on tester and ran the buzz test today and the contribution test. buzz seemed just find and I got the #8 P0284 code on the test. I did run it a couple of times. Same result. Well when I bought the truck I did the same thing and did not ever have a failure there. There have been a slue of things I have done to the truck since I ran it last. Here is a list of the changes related to engine.

I install DIY Regulated return system
DIY Air filter
replace the upper and lower boots on the intercooler spider
Hpop crossover
both gas tank mods
4" turbo back
CCV mod

So when i start the truck i can here an extra "grinding" sound on crank and I can hear it at idle when just sitting there.

In town I am getting around 13mpg

when I was driving back from Dallas I got 11mpg but i was pulling a 7x14 single axle empty enclosed trailer and never saw over 1000 degrees of EGT.

on start up I crank for about 1 second then it starts.

During the summer I can across a deal locally for a set of 8 AD injectors and UC harnesses...Yes they are remans. They guy ordered them directly from international so I have 8 international reman injectors with orings. So i can just replace the one or how ever many I want to since I have the parts.

So what you all think and what questions ya have so I can help you help me to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

203k miles

thanks all

Last edited by hotairgypsy; 01-14-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do a buzz test and cylinder contribution to see what's really going on with the injectors.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
Do a buzz test and cylinder contribution to see what's really going on with the injectors.

I pulled out the snap on tester and ran the buzz test today and the contribution test. buzz seemed just find and I got the #8 P0284 code on the test. I did run it a couple of times. Same result.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Grey cps can result in #3 and #8 failing cct test.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM

i am only getting #8 cct error...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.