AIH Delete info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AIH Delete info

I did the AIH delete today in the process of installing my boost gauge. I was able to take my AIH to the auto parts store, and the thread size is metric. I had to get a steel plug, then drill and tap the plug for my boost fittings. It was rather easy, as I had the tap on hand (getting ready to drill and tap for the EGT gauge) and put a standard 1/8" pipe fitting/adaptor to the 1/8" compression fitting line to the boost gauge.

So, the pipe plug needed on my 2000 F-350 7.3L PS is:

22mm dia x 1.5 threads

They did not have any adaptors on hand to go from metric to standard to match the 1/8" compression fittings, so the 'drill/tap the plug' method worked for me, alowing metric to standard to happen!

Hooked it up, seems to get up to about 18 PSI or so, haven't had a chance to really open it up yet...

EGT gauge is next, and trans temp... all mounted in the "A" piller pod, just gotta hook 'em up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 AM

good info, does the aih delete do anything for boost? or performance I've been considering it. Also what about warm up in cold weather?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

There are fittings available that you don't have to tap and die, but since you did tap and die, good job!

Doing the AIH delete is supposed to improve air flow, by removing the big air heater that the air has to move around.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM

I'm sure others with more expriance will chime in, but what I've heard here is that it's rare that the AIH will try to kick on, and the only thing you'll notice is IF it does set a code, it's what is called a 'soft code', that doesn't affect the drivablity of the truck, or cause any harm. I used the port that the AIH was removed from for my boost, so as to gains, I don't know, today is the first time I've know what my boost was! I'm sure it helps with airflow into the intake, that dang thing is HUGE, it's got to be restrictive... Do a search on "AIH delete boost". That is where I found some pictures to help me identify the AIH, the pictures also show inside the intake where the AIH goes... and how much more open it is with out the AIH!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM

I did that mod on my truck last year, you do get a little better flow going through there because that heater coil is so big. The main thing is it will give you alot more acurate boost reading, as for warming up, no difference, the only real purpose from what I was told was to cut down on some of the white smoke when its really cold out. I nerver realy noticed much difference in mine, heck maybe mine wasn't even working, normal cold weather smoke the first 5-10 minutes of running then its gone.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke Techie

The AIH is huge so I don’t see how removing it would not help. It does absolutely nothing for cold starting. It is just there to prevent white smoke from prolonged idling in cool weather. I have heard that it is possible for it to break up and send shrapnel into the intake air stream, but I haven’t seen that. It is a great place to hook the boost gauge.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
and the AIH has nothing to do with your truck warm up -- only under VERY specific circumstances does it ever come on --

basically, it is just a big restriction in the line, but you won't really feel any difference, but it HAS to help if you see how big it is and how much room it takes up.

Removing it gives you the PERFECT place to plug your boost line in for your guages
Old 11-13-2007, 10:34 AM

7 Malards: do you have a sorce for the proper fittings? I'm sure others who are willing to wait would like to know where to find the right parts... I'm impacient, and the parts store said they didn't list anything metric to standard, in the sizes I needed. The tap was in the ashtray in the truck, so tapping the plug was a "right now" solution, 30 minutes after I bought the plug, I was done, and drivin'.

That's the down fall of livin' in the middle of nowhere (AKA West Virginia)... parts are hard to find, and when you do find them, you gotta wait! I also like to make do with what I have... I've come up with some cool stuff that way...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM

I bought mine from a place online, they use paypal just like ebay so it was easy to purchase. It was down it Texas and they had great shipping, if I remember right it was Dyfuser.com or something like that, I just tried looking for it again and couldn't find it, but I got my map fooler from them and my intercooler boots from them, "good up to 80 psi" like I would need that much but what the heck! Very resonable on everything, I need to find there site again.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
7 Malards: do you have a sorce for the proper fittings? I'm sure others who are willing to wait would like to know where to find the right parts... I'm impacient, and the parts store said they didn't list anything metric to standard, in the sizes I needed. The tap was in the ashtray in the truck, so tapping the plug was a "right now" solution, 30 minutes after I bought the plug, I was done, and drivin'.

That's the down fall of livin' in the middle of nowhere (AKA West Virginia)... parts are hard to find, and when you do find them, you gotta wait! I also like to make do with what I have... I've come up with some cool stuff that way...
I get that kind of stuff at a local speedshop called TOGGNOTTIS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.