Serving Our Country!
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Middleburg, FL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another intake mod
I've looked at several options concerning my intake. I have a K&N panel but knew I could do better. Since I'm on a budget I couldn't afford anything more than a NAPA 6637. After reading about it, however, I decided against it for a couple of reasons. I also knew I had a left over K&N cone from my Silverado's FIPK system. After some thought, and a trip to the local box store, I have different take on this mod. I also have a cheap solution to the ZooDad crap ingestion issue.
Unfortunatly, my camera just died. ARGH!!! Sorry, no pics until i get it sorted out. Please bear with me, I'll try to make this as painless as possible. Pictures will follow soon, I promise.
Step 1. Go to your favorite box store. Pick up a 4" 22 degree sewer pipe elbow and a 16"x4" aluminum grille (can be found with the duct work). It has 3 sets of louvers down the entire length, with black mesh behind it. These things cost $2.38 and $1.38, respectively (cheap is always good.)
Step 2. Since I already had one this didn't cost me a dime. If you don't have a cone filter you'll need one with a 4" outlet. Should be between $40 and 50.
Step 3. Prep the elbow. You'll notice that it has a raised lip. This needs to be removed because this part is larger than 4" and will not go easily into the intake tube.
Step 4. Bring the tube into the house and stick the inlet end into hot water for a few minutes to allow for expansion. This will make it MUCH easier to fit the elbow into it. Make no mistake, you will still have to fight to get these together. Pay attention to orientation, as you need the elbow to face down. Use the mold line to line up with the top of the tube. The stock hose clamp is barely large enough to clamp them together. You may want to purchase a 4 1/2 " clamp to be sure. Since it's such a tight fit I didn't worry about it.
Step 5. Remove the stock lid and filter. This is where things are different. Keep the bottom of the box in place. I did this due to bringing in cold air from the ZooDad. I figured the filter was taking in more cold air from there than it was brining in from the engine (due to the box acting as sort of a dam).
Step 6. Stick the filter inside the elbow. Although you can't clamp the filter in place, you will have to tap it into the end of raised area of the elbow. It fits perfectly all the way to the edge, as if it were made for this application. Don't worry about any loose rubber in there. The airflow is going to keep everything aligned. If you're worried about any leaks use some black duct tape around the seem. The filter fits in about 2", though, so I don't believe it will leak.
Step 7. Fit everything back together. The elbow allows the filter to sit down further inside the box, drawing more cool air from the inlet. Although I didn't have an issue, carefully shut the hood to check for clearance issues. I did this without the elbow, just the filter going into the tube(it was resting on the bottom part. The hood still shut without hitting.)
Step 8. Fire it up! Yes, it will be louder than stock, but aren't every other premium high flow systems? You can really hear that turbo whine. It seems to spin up much quicker, as well. Bonus: no more surge, even at level 5.
I'm working on a couple of upgrades for it, including a restraint for the filter (it will move under boost), and bringing air in from the fender (duct mod). I also plan on painting black to match. I will also replace all piping, from the CCV inlet forward, with 4" straight pipe. As mileage adds I'll submit updates.
Total cost: $2.38 plus 1 hour time (fought with the elbow way to long, IMO).
Now, the ZooDad screen.
Take the piece as-is. Buy the unpainted piece, as it is about $.50 cheaper than all others (spend the $.05 to paint it any color you wish). GOOD NEWS! You don't have to pull the grille. Pull the rubber back from the fan shroud are, just above the air inlet ares. Slip the grilled behind it. Pull out the rubber from the air inlet duct are and slip the grille behind it, as well. No cutting or modifying. You may have to bend it a little to cover the inlet a little better but it will still filter out the big stuff (bugs, rocks, etc.) Plus, the louvers may actually direct airflow a little better.
Total cost: $1.38. Total time: 10 minutes.
Hope you find this usefull.