Another intake mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another intake mod

I've looked at several options concerning my intake. I have a K&N panel but knew I could do better. Since I'm on a budget I couldn't afford anything more than a NAPA 6637. After reading about it, however, I decided against it for a couple of reasons. I also knew I had a left over K&N cone from my Silverado's FIPK system. After some thought, and a trip to the local box store, I have different take on this mod. I also have a cheap solution to the ZooDad crap ingestion issue.

Unfortunatly, my camera just died. ARGH!!! Sorry, no pics until i get it sorted out. Please bear with me, I'll try to make this as painless as possible. Pictures will follow soon, I promise.

Step 1. Go to your favorite box store. Pick up a 4" 22 degree sewer pipe elbow and a 16"x4" aluminum grille (can be found with the duct work). It has 3 sets of louvers down the entire length, with black mesh behind it. These things cost $2.38 and $1.38, respectively (cheap is always good.)

Step 2. Since I already had one this didn't cost me a dime. If you don't have a cone filter you'll need one with a 4" outlet. Should be between $40 and 50.

Step 3. Prep the elbow. You'll notice that it has a raised lip. This needs to be removed because this part is larger than 4" and will not go easily into the intake tube.

Step 4. Bring the tube into the house and stick the inlet end into hot water for a few minutes to allow for expansion. This will make it MUCH easier to fit the elbow into it. Make no mistake, you will still have to fight to get these together. Pay attention to orientation, as you need the elbow to face down. Use the mold line to line up with the top of the tube. The stock hose clamp is barely large enough to clamp them together. You may want to purchase a 4 1/2 " clamp to be sure. Since it's such a tight fit I didn't worry about it.

Step 5. Remove the stock lid and filter. This is where things are different. Keep the bottom of the box in place. I did this due to bringing in cold air from the ZooDad. I figured the filter was taking in more cold air from there than it was brining in from the engine (due to the box acting as sort of a dam).

Step 6. Stick the filter inside the elbow. Although you can't clamp the filter in place, you will have to tap it into the end of raised area of the elbow. It fits perfectly all the way to the edge, as if it were made for this application. Don't worry about any loose rubber in there. The airflow is going to keep everything aligned. If you're worried about any leaks use some black duct tape around the seem. The filter fits in about 2", though, so I don't believe it will leak.

Step 7. Fit everything back together. The elbow allows the filter to sit down further inside the box, drawing more cool air from the inlet. Although I didn't have an issue, carefully shut the hood to check for clearance issues. I did this without the elbow, just the filter going into the tube(it was resting on the bottom part. The hood still shut without hitting.)

Step 8. Fire it up! Yes, it will be louder than stock, but aren't every other premium high flow systems? You can really hear that turbo whine. It seems to spin up much quicker, as well. Bonus: no more surge, even at level 5.

I'm working on a couple of upgrades for it, including a restraint for the filter (it will move under boost), and bringing air in from the fender (duct mod). I also plan on painting black to match. I will also replace all piping, from the CCV inlet forward, with 4" straight pipe. As mileage adds I'll submit updates.

Total cost: $2.38 plus 1 hour time (fought with the elbow way to long, IMO).

Now, the ZooDad screen.

Take the piece as-is. Buy the unpainted piece, as it is about $.50 cheaper than all others (spend the $.05 to paint it any color you wish). GOOD NEWS! You don't have to pull the grille. Pull the rubber back from the fan shroud are, just above the air inlet ares. Slip the grilled behind it. Pull out the rubber from the air inlet duct are and slip the grille behind it, as well. No cutting or modifying. You may have to bend it a little to cover the inlet a little better but it will still filter out the big stuff (bugs, rocks, etc.) Plus, the louvers may actually direct airflow a little better.

Total cost: $1.38. Total time: 10 minutes.

Hope you find this usefull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

After 600 miles my mileage averaged 22 mpg. The turbo definetly loves the freer flowing air, but now surges like crazy in higher power levels. I also deleted the muffler yesterday and definetly notice an improvement in throttle response. Over all I'm pleased with the mods so far. Now for some gauges and I'll be ready for phase 2.

Promised pics are comming soon, after I get a new USB. Keep checking my gallery...
Old 11-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

let us know when you get the pics up
Old 11-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

You're running Jody's tunes with no gauges?? Talk about the cart before the horse! You must be a gambling man. There are many different screens and grills to place over the Zoodad opening, my solution was to drill a series of 3/8" holes very close together verses one large hole, after 3 years I have never gotten any debri inside my filter box. I don't care of the fender sleeve mod either, as this air is very dirty coming from this location, I prefer the cleaner air coming from the front.

Your question:
Quote : Fire it up! Yes, it will be louder than stock, but aren't every other premium high flow systems?

The answeris no, sure all the open element filters will have increased noise, but the Ford AIS is no louder than stock and flows 30% more air and nothing will filter better. Between the AIS/Zoodad/ BTM my truck inhales and exhales all the air it needs.

Show us some pics when you get another camera, and you are 100% correct anything is better than that K&N panel filter!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
You're running Jody's tunes with no gauges?? Talk about the cart before the horse! You must be a gambling man. There are many different screens and grills to place over the Zoodad opening, my solution was to drill a series of 3/8" holes very close together verses one large hole, after 3 years I have never gotten any debri inside my filter box. I don't care of the fender sleeve mod either, as this air is very dirty coming from this location, I prefer the cleaner air coming from the front.

Your question:
Quote : Fire it up! Yes, it will be louder than stock, but aren't every other premium high flow systems?

The answeris no, sure all the open element filters will have increased noise, but the Ford AIS is no louder than stock and flows 30% more air and nothing will filter better. Between the AIS/Zoodad/ BTM my truck inhales and exhales all the air it needs.

Show us some pics when you get another camera, and you are 100% correct anything is better than that K&N panel filter!!!
Yeah, man, Scott gave me a KILLER deal on it at the show. Just couldn't pass it up. That''s why I don't run over 3 very much (except to smoke out a discourtious tail gator or dummy pedestrian that doesn't realize their stepping infront of a 3 ton truck). The gauges are comming in a couple of pay days. I found a tripple set for $235 plus shipping. That's also why I did the muffler delete, it's supposed to lower EGTs by as much as 150. As for the intake screen you'll see it when I post my pics in the gallery. Keep checking.

BTW: Did you say you ate at Aunt B's a lot? I stopped in there last Saturday night after I took Blue01F250 and his family to PM. Good food, very friendly, and cheap to boot (better than Henry J's, anyway). Too bad it's so far out. Do you want to get together up there one Saturday when I'm home and BS about the trucks?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Yeah Aunt Beas has a awesome breakfast grub, sure give me a call and we can get together. Glad you got a good deal from Scott, you can't go wrong with Jody's tunes, did you get the new F5 chip or the older rotary type? Looks like the older one by your sig, Jody was offering a great deal on the new F5 if you wanted a digital display.

What brand of gauges are you getting for $235? This is something you don't want to go cheap on, not that $235 is cheap!! I like Isspro Gauges but there are several other good brands out there too, just stay away from the unknown stuff on Ebay, I have read lots of bad stuff about them. If you want Isspro Ken at www.kensperformancesolutions.com was selling all 3 gauges with a pillar and a complete install kit with every wire and connector you will need for $300 delivered to your door. His step by step directions that are model specific, not some general worthless directions, are very easy to follow. PM me if you want any help on the install. I have a couple local guys and we will be doing a group buy from Ken when they get their cash together and get them even cheaper. Tell Ken that Kevin sent you. If you can wait a few weeks I can get you in on the group buy, just let me know. We were then going to get together and install them on all the trucks in one weekend.
Take Care
Old 11-18-2007, 03:48 AM
The Fat Mod

22 mpg and a 3 ton truck...are you driving a dodge
Old 11-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

RPM Outlet has them for that much (Stewart Warner). I got the F5. I appreciate the offer. I will definetly need help.

Logan, It don't take a Dodge to get good mileage, just a SEVERE amount of self control not to smoke every piece of rice on the road. It's actually scarry how fast 3 tons will get moving. Steering and stopping are another story...
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

You should try it with 4.5 tons!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1500 View Post
I've looked at several options concerning my intake. I have a K&N panel but knew I could do better. Since I'm on a budget I couldn't afford anything more than a NAPA 6637. After reading about it, however, I decided against it for a couple of reasons. I also knew I had a left over K&N cone from my Silverado's FIPK system. After some thought, and a trip to the local box store, I have different take on this mod. I also have a cheap solution to the ZooDad crap ingestion issue.

Unfortunatly, my camera just died. ARGH!!! Sorry, no pics until i get it sorted out. Please bear with me, I'll try to make this as painless as possible. Pictures will follow soon, I promise.

Step 1. Go to your favorite box store. Pick up a 4" 22 degree sewer pipe elbow and a 16"x4" aluminum grille (can be found with the duct work). It has 3 sets of louvers down the entire length, with black mesh behind it. These things cost $2.38 and $1.38, respectively (cheap is always good.)

Step 2. Since I already had one this didn't cost me a dime. If you don't have a cone filter you'll need one with a 4" outlet. Should be between $40 and 50.

Step 3. Prep the elbow. You'll notice that it has a raised lip. This needs to be removed because this part is larger than 4" and will not go easily into the intake tube.

Step 4. Bring the tube into the house and stick the inlet end into hot water for a few minutes to allow for expansion. This will make it MUCH easier to fit the elbow into it. Make no mistake, you will still have to fight to get these together. Pay attention to orientation, as you need the elbow to face down. Use the mold line to line up with the top of the tube. The stock hose clamp is barely large enough to clamp them together. You may want to purchase a 4 1/2 " clamp to be sure. Since it's such a tight fit I didn't worry about it.

Step 5. Remove the stock lid and filter. This is where things are different. Keep the bottom of the box in place. I did this due to bringing in cold air from the ZooDad. I figured the filter was taking in more cold air from there than it was brining in from the engine (due to the box acting as sort of a dam).

Step 6. Stick the filter inside the elbow. Although you can't clamp the filter in place, you will have to tap it into the end of raised area of the elbow. It fits perfectly all the way to the edge, as if it were made for this application. Don't worry about any loose rubber in there. The airflow is going to keep everything aligned. If you're worried about any leaks use some black duct tape around the seem. The filter fits in about 2", though, so I don't believe it will leak.

Step 7. Fit everything back together. The elbow allows the filter to sit down further inside the box, drawing more cool air from the inlet. Although I didn't have an issue, carefully shut the hood to check for clearance issues. I did this without the elbow, just the filter going into the tube(it was resting on the bottom part. The hood still shut without hitting.)

Step 8. Fire it up! Yes, it will be louder than stock, but aren't every other premium high flow systems? You can really hear that turbo whine. It seems to spin up much quicker, as well. Bonus: no more surge, even at level 5.

I'm working on a couple of upgrades for it, including a restraint for the filter (it will move under boost), and bringing air in from the fender (duct mod). I also plan on painting black to match. I will also replace all piping, from the CCV inlet forward, with 4" straight pipe. As mileage adds I'll submit updates.

Total cost: $2.38 plus 1 hour time (fought with the elbow way to long, IMO).

Now, the ZooDad screen.

Take the piece as-is. Buy the unpainted piece, as it is about $.50 cheaper than all others (spend the $.05 to paint it any color you wish). GOOD NEWS! You don't have to pull the grille. Pull the rubber back from the fan shroud are, just above the air inlet ares. Slip the grilled behind it. Pull out the rubber from the air inlet duct are and slip the grille behind it, as well. No cutting or modifying. You may have to bend it a little to cover the inlet a little better but it will still filter out the big stuff (bugs, rocks, etc.) Plus, the louvers may actually direct airflow a little better.

Total cost: $1.38. Total time: 10 minutes.

Hope you find this usefull.

Bringing this thread back from the grave--was hoping to see some pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.