Turbo Pedestal for 99 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Pedestal for 99

I finally had enough and brought my truck into the local Ford garage to get my rig scanned. I have had a lack of power and poor fuel economy. What they told me was that my EPC valve on the turbo pedestal is sticking. They told me that the pedestal needs replacing and that should take care of my problems.

I'm a newbie and am not very mechanical, so I'm looking for some good advice on where to get a good deal on a pedestal. Also, how long should it take to replace this part by someone who knows what they are doing?

Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Your valve is sticking its actually actuated by the pedistal. Oil pressure moves a piston that moves the actuating arm to open and close your valve. The actual valve is located on the back side of the turbine. You have a couple of options: You can have them pull your turbo and clean the valve or you can do that yourself, or you can move the actuating arm by hand to open your valve and unplug the soleniod so you valve no longer will close. Also you could elimininate the whole vavle assembly.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:59 PM

From what I understand the only reason for the valve is to produce heat in the cab? Is that true? So, if I moved the valve open by hand, will it stay open on its own or is there some kind of set screw or bolt to keep it open or will it just stay open by itself? I assume the connection for the solenoid just needs to be unplugged? Only problem with heat in the cab is that I live in Northern Minnesota where it gets colder that a witches t@t in the winter. So, will my cab not heat up or will it just take longer to heat? Thank You!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Its a valve that closes when the temps are cold to put a load on the engine so it will come up to operating temp sooner. I got rid of mine last winter. It takes 5-10 minutes longer to get the truck up to operating temps, but its worth it over the annoying hiss and poor fuel mileage,and no power. Here is a pic of the turbo pedistal. If you look at the back left side you will see the arm that moves the valve. With the truck off move the valve so its open and unplug the 2 wire plug with a wire clip that plugs into the front of the pedistal. You can see the white plug on the front that is where you need to unplug from. Once its unplugged your ebpv will no longer close
Old 11-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Sorry forgot the pic
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 PM

OK, so one last question... what way do I move the arm to open it? Sorry for being such an idiot, but I am really unmechanical and I usually mess things up when I try, so thanks again for the help. So, up or down?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice on how to get my truck running better. I unplugged the soloniod and pushed the arm in to open the valve and BAM, problem solved!!!!! You guys are GREAT!!! Its nice to have a site like this when I am having problems, especially when I am not mechanical. It was an instant fix to my loss of power and poor fuel economy. I haven't gone enough miles to check my mpg yet, but I can tell from my gage that I am doing way better. On my last tank before the fix, my gage was just above 3/4 with 100 miles and now I'm over 100 miles and the gage hasn't moved off F. One other thing, I used my hand held gps to check my speed. I have 285's instead of the 265's. My speedo is off by 1.5 mph so at say 60, I am actually 61.5. As far as th odometer in 100 miles the gps was at 101.5, so not a real big difference. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.