Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Another idle problem with my 99 F250.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dieseldan2005 
#1 ·
1999 F250 diesel. When I let it set there idling the motor will rev up all by itself and if I tap the brake pedal it'll go back to idle. Set there for a few minutes and it'll rev up again,,,,,,,tap the brake pedal and back to idle. But yet running, it's fine.

#2 ·
I have the same problem please let me know if you figure it out. I have a 2004 f250 6.0...........Terry

#3 ·
i think all psd's do that. dont know why. probably for warming up the truck. its nice in the winter to help warm your rig up.

#4 ·
Normal operation. It is doing that to aid in warm up and to prevent wet stacking. (build up of unburnt fuel do to cold combustion)

#5 ·
High idle is dictated by readings from the following sensors:
- IAT (Intake Air Temperature): High idle setpoint (up to 1300 RPM's) is determined by air temps.
- EOT (Engine Oil Temperature): Oil must be below 122* F to increase idle.

When you start your truck in the morning it is normal that is the EBP valve will start operating. It applies a light load to the engine to help it warm up quicker. it will deactivate when you hit brake or go pedal or when your truck gets to operating temperature.

:thumb:

#8 ·
:burnout

Do you have a chip or programmer in your truck? Cause i have an edge evo 1 and i'm running on race mode now. If i take off with the engine temp gauge not up to normal the EBPV will close slightly limiting how much fuel is getting used then as soon as my temp gauge hits normal then you can feel the EBPV open up all the way and then you can burn rubber!:burnout I think its a safety mechanism so that you don't seize up your motor my taking off when its cold.

#7 ·
Take a close look to see if your AIT wire is connected or shorted out against something. I have read that can make it happen as well.

IIRC, the parking brake has to be set as well to go into high idle. Something to do with the parking brake sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.