Trailer brake controler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer brake controler

I was wondering if my 2000 F-350 would come from the factory with any kind of trailer brake controler. If not, what parts do I need to make the brakes on my box trailer work the way they are suppost to? All I have now is the flat 4 wire connector, and will be changeing to the 7 blade RV style plug to match the trailer, but how to I set up the wires to run the brakes?

I remember an old truck my dad had, it had a sepirate controler that tied into the break lines at the master cyl, but with the new trucks, and ABS....?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
They didn't start adding the integrated controllers till 05 ish

you will have to add an aftermarket one -- likely just can get a harness to plug it in with for your 2000 - makes it much easier than splicing all the wires..

also, you will probably need the 30A fuse under the hood for the brake controller (and possibly some others) if you are adding everything

hope that helps
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You'll need the Ford Wiring harness that just plugs in under the dash and then the brake controller will have to be spliced into that harness. I just did it myself this weekend. Pretty simple... the hardest part is getting that brown plug into the white plug even though I have skinny fingers!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to gwilliamson
if you follow your 4 wire forward it should go kinda up and to the drivers side, there you will find a harness, you can pick up a 7 wire plug in for that harness and theres one down. you can get those at any trailer parts store or the dealer.

as for the break controller, pop the panel off under the steering wheel, reach up toward you 4wheel drive selector switch and in there somewhere is a harness, you will have to get the other part that runs out to the brake controller and join the harness wires to the controller wires. Its all pretty much plug and place execpt for finding your harnesses and marrying those controller wires. if you need help with finding them, ford will print out you wiring schemes of the given areas. i think autozone has them online also.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to gwilliamson
dang he beat me
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM
International Threat

LOL... get used to it... it happens to me all the time. Vitalidle is the guy that usually beats me! haha... Brant gets to a good # of them before me as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Actually if you get a Tekonsha controller, you can get a pig tail that plug in to the truck and into the back of the controller. No wiring to do.

Under the hood, inboard of the fuse box is a smaller box. About 1 1/2"W X 4"L. Take the top off and you will need to get two relays to fill the two open slots. Plug in the relays and you should be good to go. 12v power to the rear and brakes to the rear as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So my best place to start would be the local ford stealer, or Advance Auto Parts? Or your recomendations for a knolageable online sorce?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Local hitch shop is a good place to start for advice and then Napa can get the relays.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I just bought the new P3 Controller by Tekonsha, I suggest you take a look at it, it is the upgrade from the popular Prodigy unit and this thing is awesome!!! They were offering a sweeet rebate on it.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.