TS 6 position chip questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TS 6 position chip questions

Does anyone know what happens if you put a TS 6 position chip tuned for an automatic on a manual truck? Will it work properly and ignore the auto stuff or what? How much is it to have them retuned? Is $200 for one that needs to be retuned a good price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 PM

New TS chips on fleabay for like 250 I do believe.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM

Do they come with tunes on them already?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

You can get them brand new for $295.00 fully tuned from KT Performance.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Are any of the generic tunes that are offered on the fleabay ones any good for fuel economy improvements? Are the KT performance ones good for that or will they make tunes just for that?

Is there another chip that is significantly better than the TS chip or are they all about the same?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

The TS chip has been around for 10 years and is a solid functioning chip. The chips sold by KT Performance actually run our (PHP) tuning on them. For the price, it's the best deal going.

You can also purchase the new PHP Hydra Chip which offers more positions, digital switch, and built in No-Start and Bypass modes for about $100.00 more. The advantage to the Hydra Chip is that it comes complete with everything you need to program the chip yourself. You can play with different tunes, rearrange the order, and even order custom tunes down the road when/if you decide to modify your truck. KT Performance also sells the Hydra Chip. For more info on the chip itself, visit Power Hungry Performance - Hydra Chip

I hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Does the hydra chip allow you to make your own tunes or just allow you to load tunes you download onto the chip?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

The Hydra Chip and software are set up basically to use either standard PHP files or custom files from your tuner of choice. You can purchase the Minotaur package (software and Hydra Chip) which would allow you to make your own tuning changes and then load them on the Hydra Chip.

I will offer this warning: The Minotaur software allows for unrestricted changes to the tuning, so unless you're very comfortable with tuning software and reasonably experienced with how diesel engines function, you may want to give the software some thought. It wouldn't take much but a few wrong tuning adjustments to ruin an engine. We provide a number of samples which you can compare to the original files to see how different changes are made for each power level. As long as you stay within reasonable limits, tuning can be a fun and challenging experience.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 AM

I'm not sure I am looking to go the hydra chip route.

I don't think I am going to be doing a whole lot of modification to my truck. I currently have a 4" down to a 5" straight system. Running a 6 speed manual. Probably the most performance upgrade I could see myself doing in the future would be an intake if I think I can squeeze a little more economy out of it by doing so.

I filled out the online contact form for kT performance with some questions and had no response as of yet. I am looking to buy a chip soon. I am just not sure which tunes I should go for. I am looking for a fuel economy type tune for sure, I am only getting around 15 mpg and would like to see a bit better and I also do some towing and might like to have some higher power type tune. Why is it that the higher power tunes aren't the towing tunes? Is it because of EGTs? With my exhaust system would it be much concern doing some heavier towing with some higher HP tunes? I am open to suggestions on tunes.

If I did an intake modification in the future would that require a tuning change? What type of boost numbers would I expect to see with some of these tunes? Is the chip the only hardware needed or would I need any sort of boost fooler type device? I am guessing the hip takes care of it all in the computer

Thanks for the help, do you sell the 6 position with tunes or is it best to go with KT performance?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have a look at the PHP Phoenix ($295) pick your tunes, your truck sounds like it's gonna be mostly stock, it'd be perfect for your needs. BUT, as far as seeing gains in Fuel Economy, there's really nothing out there that's going to make much of a difference. It's a Heavy Truck with a Big Block motor, not Aerodynamic at all

If you want better mileage, you're just going to have to drive it completely differently (like an Old Lady) and that's only going to get harder with a chip. It's just So Much more Fun to drive! -hehehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.