Passenger front wheel - set back? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Living on a prayer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Passenger front wheel - set back? Drivers side front wheel forward?

It's really bothering me that the passenger front wheel is so much more set back than the driver's side. maybe an inch or more closer to the back of the wheel well. If i put on larger tires it's going to appear even closer. when you stand off the passenger side of the truck, it just looks so uneven. the wheel doesn't sit in the center of the wheel well. the driver side front wheel looks just kinda set forward, almost like the axle is crooked. I asked the guys at the local reputable tire shop, who just aligned the wheels, and they said it was just the way Ford built these trucks, and that this isn't the result of an accident or any mechanical failure. Previous owner had ball joints and some other front end parts replaced, including the track bar. Anyone know what i'm talking about? are there aftermarket kits to adjust this? i don't believe my truck has any lift at all. my theaory is that the front axle on one side shifted back on the leaf spring. there's a 4" block above the read axle, but nothing on the front. looks stock. there's a pic in my gallery. thanks.

Last edited by samiam; 11-06-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

That don't look or sound normal at all to me and I have an early 99.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The pic you have looks like the wheels are turned to the right. The wheels will naturally look offset when turning.

If that pic is of the front wheels straight, then you definitely have something wrong. Does the truck track straight down the road? Wearing your tires in any funny way?

The things I would check for
Check the center pin on the front leaf spring, it has possibly broken and let the axle move to the rear.

The other thing to check is the rear shackle. I have seen them bottom out against the frame and get wedged and stick. That would pull the axle back a little, but I would think you would notice that side riding 1/2 - 1" lower.

If it drives straight and neither of those two things is wrong, I have no idea what it could be.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Living on a prayer

the wheel in the pic is turned slightly to the right. when it's straight ahead it's barely noticeable. when the wheel is turned slightly to the left it's not really noticeable. i'll check out the shackles and leaf spring pins. the truck aligned just fine, and drives smooth and straight. probably just my overly-critical mentality. i'm saving my money for a leveling kit.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

When I made my “leveling kit” I spaced the front leaf spring down 3” and 1” to the front and spaced the front bumper out about 1 ” and I love the way it looks. Shutterfly | Slideshow
Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Living on a prayer

alabamafrog, your truck looks great. i'll check out those pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.