Couple of Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couple of Problems

A while back I made the decision to purchase a K&N cold air intake (FIPK) for my PSD. I am now learning that K&N filters allow too much dust to pass. My question is: are there other filter elements that will fit in place of the K&N filter on this intake, or would the filter wrap K&N makes solve the dust problem? Or should I just replace the entire intake with something else?

Also, I am noticing a "slip" type of feeling in the driveline both when I am stopped, then accelerate, and also when I use the brakes. It almost feels like a bad u-joint type of feeling. Then if I get on the accelerator a little bit after I feel the jerk, I feel a vibration, bouncy type of feeling for a couple of seconds, then it quits. So anyway I get under the truck and grab the driveline and try to wiggle it back and forth by the center support bearing. I can see a shiny area on the driveshaft near that bearing, and the shaft seems to move more than it should inside the support. It looks like maybe the support bearing is gone, but not real sure. I would think the support should hold the driveshaft a bit more solid.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Conservative and Proud

Bumping this up to the top for ya!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

Cool

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

what you are feeling is a normal charactarisic of the superduty vehicles...either loaded or unloaded depending on what you prefer.... The vibration can be fixed, but only one of two ways usually. What you have to do to fix it is shimm the carrier bearing down to correct the driveline angle. Once its fixed, it will do it either loaded or unloaded. For example......If you shimm it so that it is perfect unloaded, it will do it loaded and visa versa......unfortuanetley driveline angles are such a precise science that the truck would basically have to have NO suspention on it to not do what you are feeling......Ford dealers are able to get kits to fix this and there is a TSB on it. The TSB basically explains what i just told you, but longer....and gives a part number for the shim kit.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Jon

I would chalk this up as a learning experience and...

get a Ford AIS filter system.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

Nice..

Thanks for the info, Marc!

Man, this is pretty weird. So even if I bought a new carrier bearing it would probably do the same thing? It definitely has some play in that support area. I'll take a look at the shimm kit you are talking about. Should I try and put a new support bearing in it and see if it helps? Or would that be a waste of time?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

if the ushing for the center support bearing has a bunch of play, it might be worth trying to replace it, but i bet your gonna have to shim it in the end......
Old 07-27-2006, 05:14 PM

**A.F.E. - Stage2**

Recently, I bought the Stage2 system. I did not get the "Pro-Guard7" filter. I stayed w/ the "5-layer-Magnum-Force". I figure instead of paying the extra $50.00 "+" premium for the PG7, I would just put a "pre-filter" on the existing filter. In So. California this application should be fine. Anyhow, wow! What a difference in how much air is "pulled" in. Until you do an "intake" mod, you really don't realize how much the PowerStroke is starved for air. The cool factor is the "sound". Between the "intake" of air, and the release of "unused" boost (the whooosh factor) this will change the personality of your truck. Here's something interesting (to me) is that after the install of the Stage2 my e.g.t.'s went up. I believe this is due to the fact that my stock exhaust system is restricting all of that new incoming airflow. So, after tomorrow I'll have a 4" MBRP TurboBack system installed, and I believe that this will lower them farther than they've ever been. The main reason I went w/ the A.F.E. system was that both the Cummins and PowerStroke guys are believers... The positive info far out weighs the negative.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

I will look into the shim idea. Thanks for the good info. For $35 and an hour (or so) of my time it might not hurt to replace the bearing and see what that does, if that don't do it I will be shimming it sounds like.

Do you think I'd be wasting my time to buy a filter wrap for this k&n? I know I should just trash it but after just recently purchasing the FIPK it will be a nearly impossible sell with the boss.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

it all depends on the conditions you tend to put your truck through. If you see dirt roads more than twice a month...i would say get rid of it and cut your losses....if you basically just see hiway and in town driving, put a pre filter on it and youll probably be just fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.