HID question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID question?

Hey guys need some help! I just finished retro fitting projector lens in my lights along with digital 55w hi/low beam hid lights. I know alot of people have asked about the ABS light coming on but cant remember why or the fix for it? Also my overdrive light on my shifter is flashing anyone else have this problem or a fix? Thanks

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM

I failed to mention I also installed LED third brake light and tails. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but just trying to throw everything I just did before having this problem!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've never had any issues with HIDs throwing a cluster light of any kind on any of my trucks. I do know LEDs sometimes need a resistor of some sort. Usually the lights blink too fast without one installed. Not sure if that's your case though.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The HID ballasts will emit an impulse and will interfere with electronics on our trucks. Apparently more people experience this type of problem when they have it paired with a dp tuner. Best fix people have found is using ferrite beads on the tuner wiring to protect it from the interference.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM

Smitty,
Ya my turn signals are working fine I did the whole taillight swap not just the bulbs so sure they have the resistors built in. I think tomarrow I am going to put my factory taillights and third brake light back on and see if that stops my O/D light from flashing try to narrow down the cause!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMKILLER97 View Post
The HID ballasts will emit an impulse and will interfere with electronics on our trucks. Apparently more people experience this type of problem when they have it paired with a dp tuner. Best fix people have found is using ferrite beads on the tuner wiring to protect it from the interference.
I had 35W HID kit on my truck before I swapped out to the 55W kit and never had this problem? And I am tuned with SCT 9600 livewire?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yea, seems to be one of those random quirky problems with our trucks. Effects some people but does nothing to others. If your truck was fine before i would do what you are going to try and unplug the 3rd brake light to see if that is doing it. But the ballast issue isnt just for dp tuners, it apparently happens with others just not as much. I just ordered HIDs so I hope I dont get this issue with my ts...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Winning DUHHH

Ddm tuning HID's in mine, and recon 3rd tail light.....6 position tw chip....never had an issue!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

I have had something similiar. I had the ABS light and no speedometer.

I have the BFxenon kit. My problem was the ground on the driver's side I used on the HIDs came loose and caused all sorts of issue. There was already a ground there for something in the truck. Maybe double check your grounds?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
I have had something similiar. I had the ABS light and no speedometer.

I have the BFxenon kit. My problem was the ground on the driver's side I used on the HIDs came loose and caused all sorts of issue. There was already a ground there for something in the truck. Maybe double check your grounds?
I now have your same issues! I have no speedometer my ABS light is on and my overdrive light is flashing! I have installed my OEM tail lights and third brake light and unplug my HIDs. Cleared all my codes and unplugged my batteries for a bit. And still having these problems!!!! UGH WTF!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.