Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HID question?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Carpenoctum 
#1 ·
Hey guys need some help! I just finished retro fitting projector lens in my lights along with digital 55w hi/low beam hid lights. I know alot of people have asked about the ABS light coming on but cant remember why or the fix for it? Also my overdrive light on my shifter is flashing anyone else have this problem or a fix? Thanks

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
I've never had any issues with HIDs throwing a cluster light of any kind on any of my trucks. I do know LEDs sometimes need a resistor of some sort. Usually the lights blink too fast without one installed. Not sure if that's your case though.

#4 ·
The HID ballasts will emit an impulse and will interfere with electronics on our trucks. Apparently more people experience this type of problem when they have it paired with a dp tuner. Best fix people have found is using ferrite beads on the tuner wiring to protect it from the interference.

#5 ·
Smitty,
Ya my turn signals are working fine I did the whole taillight swap not just the bulbs so sure they have the resistors built in. I think tomarrow I am going to put my factory taillights and third brake light back on and see if that stops my O/D light from flashing try to narrow down the cause!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
yea, seems to be one of those random quirky problems with our trucks. Effects some people but does nothing to others. If your truck was fine before i would do what you are going to try and unplug the 3rd brake light to see if that is doing it. But the ballast issue isnt just for dp tuners, it apparently happens with others just not as much. I just ordered HIDs so I hope I dont get this issue with my ts...

#8 ·
Ddm tuning HID's in mine, and recon 3rd tail light.....6 position tw chip....never had an issue!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
I have had something similiar. I had the ABS light and no speedometer.

I have the BFxenon kit. My problem was the ground on the driver's side I used on the HIDs came loose and caused all sorts of issue. There was already a ground there for something in the truck. Maybe double check your grounds?

#10 ·
I now have your same issues! I have no speedometer my ABS light is on and my overdrive light is flashing! I have installed my OEM tail lights and third brake light and unplug my HIDs. Cleared all my codes and unplugged my batteries for a bit. And still having these problems!!!! UGH WTF!

#11 ·
Check the ground right in front of the battery on the driver's side. If that isn't it then replace the speed sensor in the top of the rear end housing. It's pretty easy and part is only like $20 or $30.

#12 ·
MERC123 I owe you big time man!!!!! I was going to use the that ground you talked about on the driver side In front of the headlight to ground my Hid kit. I didn't like how the hid wiring harness look if I use that ground so I chose a different spot. Well I failed to tighten the other one up. Once I did all my problems went away!! Thanks lessen learned!

#13 ·
Took me weeks! I got pulled over that night my speedo went out for a faulty headlight on the drivers side but didn't put it together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.