Manual to Auto Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual to Auto Swap

yes as crazy as it sounds im thinking of going from a 6 speed to a automatic, simply because its easier to find a 4r100 than a zf6 as i bought my truck without a transmission

now my question what all is entailed in a swap like this.

Will the transfer case from my zf6 work on the 4r100?

Im figuring ill need to re size my drive shafts.

PCM will need changed, insturment cluster, steering column, wiring harness????

Id be willing to swap parts with someone or ill sell the zf6 parts i have in my truck.

Thank you ahead of time

p.s. what im thinkin is finding a bad 2wd trans, swapping to 4x4 tailhousing and output shaft, and rebuilding the trans myself to hold around 400 horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The transfer case uses a different spline count between the 4r100 and zf6. Also if it's a manual shift, the linkage will be different. The 4r100 is shorter so you will need new drive shafts. You will also need the wiring harness and computer from a auto. Cluster is the same, you just need the PNRD portion and the column. I don't think you can just swap the tail from the transmission, your better off just starting off with a 4x4 unit. If you were closer, I might just buy some of those parts from you.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
The transfer case uses a different spline count between the 4r100 and zf6. The 4r100 is shorter so you will need new drive shafts. You will also need the wiring harness and computer from a auto.
Input on the tcase IS different. But the transmissions are exactly the same size. And just a heads up, there's a spacer that goes inbetween the trans and the bell housing for the auto that you NEED, it's about an inch thick. I don't think it's an easy swap like doing it the other way. Not sure if the harness is on the truck already to comunicate with the trans if you swap computers.( like a plug and play kinda deal). And the cluster is different, auto's had a trans gauge and the zf6's had a volt gauge. (my trans temp just reads zero now). And it looks like the P N R D 1 is part of the cluster? If I can remember anything else that might help ya I'll let you know.

To be honest. It would probably be easier to just find another zf6
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's what I was saying, different spline count on the input. On the cluster, it's only the later model trucks that had the trans temp /idiot gauge. The OP's truck is listed as a e99 so it's a non issue. The PNRD needle just pops into place with two clips, the manual cluster should just have a blank off that can be removed. There is also a cable for that needle you will need. I do agree that just finding another ZF6 would be way easier and less expensive considering a built 4r100 is around $5000.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dont forget about the column shift. It would be easier to swap the whole column to get the shifter working.

Stay manual. You will be better off buying a rebuild ZF over piecing together all the auto parts you would need. And it will hold 400hp without issue.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

man, you are 3 1/2 hours from my house and yes i would swap with you in a heartbeat but i have a 2wd not 4, not sure if the tail end of the tranny comes off or if its a one piece.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM

I sent you a pm about some parts I have that you may want. I converted to a manual so I have quite a few of your pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.