Hubs need to be greased? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hubs need to be greased?

Here's the issue... I cant turn the hubs from lock to auto, the transmission will run up to 2500 rpms before it will shift, there is constant boost(6psi) when cruising at like 60(and 1900rpms) and when I let off the throttle, even down hill, the truck decelerates very quickly, especially above 50mph. Oh and of course, truck has no balls going forward. Do I need to grease/clean the hubs? Or do I have a bigger issue? Anyone know the best way to remove and clean them? Any input is much appreciated

Last edited by eurotrashb5; 01-04-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This may help:

Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Maintenance Web Page
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaboy02powerstroke View Post
Very useful for sure. I do know I have some warped rotors BUT, never smell even a hint of the brakes being locked up. Could the fact that the rotors are warped maybe be hanging it up just enough to cause this to happen?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Premium Member

So basically your hubs are locked and you are in 4X4?

Seized callipers will cause mileage and drive issues. You may want to pull them off and grease everything up.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM

The hubs are on auto, the 4x4 engages, disengages and works fine, but I cant turn the hub by hand(or with vice grips) from auto to lock, and there is something causing some serious drag
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Your manual mechanism of the hubs probably just need cleaning and lubricating, but they should not be the cause of the problem. Your hub assembly could be the cause of the original issue pertaining to decelerating, etc.

Jack the front of the truck up either one side at a time or both and grab the sides of each will and wiggle. Grab the top and bottom. Both times check for movement. Top and bottom may need a pry bar to check for movement.

Are you hearing any humming for noise coming from the front while driving?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM

since this only happens in 4x4 you will likely be looking at a differential or transfer case issue

if your one hub wasn't fubared it would be easy to diagnose

If I were you i would lift the side with the good hub and when not in 4x4 spin the tire and see how easily it turns then lock the good hub and see if it's a huge fight to turn

if neither hub is good and you can't select 4x4 manually We can try just using the transfer case in 4x4 by blocking the vacuum signal to the hubs

Last edited by ZMANN; 01-04-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaboy02powerstroke View Post

Are you hearing any humming for noise coming from the front while driving?
No nosie that I can hear, but that doesnt mean there isnt one. Ill jack it up this weekend and check, I just had an alignment so none of the front end parts are bad, I dont notice a hub being bad in the steering wheel. I got a feeling that the wheels aren't going to want to turn easily when in the air. I heard something about greasing it through the abs port? I guess it could be bad bearings too? But there's no noise from the bearings which is why im leaning away from that.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 AM

well if your unit bearing was bad it would be bad in 4x2 also and you would have the boost and slowing issue all the time

yes u can grease them through the ABS but if a hub was that far gone it would be to late
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 AM

My apologies, all these symptoms are happening in 4x2, my 4x4 engages, and disengages just as it should because the front hubs are set on auto, and stuck there. Im not having any issue with 4x4 really, its just the drag that something is creating thats killing the truck and making everything work harder than it should. Might not even be the hubs? Ill have to see how freely they wheels spin when up in the air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.