Scary Situation with interior fuse box - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scary Situation with interior fuse box

I had an eerie situation happen to me last night. At first my son noticed that the cargo lights were on for no apparent reason, so he called me down and i went to investigate. The doors weren't open, the illumination switch wasn't turned on, and i had no idea why they would be lit up. I also noticed that my door lights were on that illuminate the switches for the windows and locks. I sat there for a minute and looked up the fuse location for the cargo lights and all that stuff. The book shows it as location 14 for the cargo lights, so i pulled the fuse and nothing happened, they were still lit up. I put the fuse back in and other weird things started happening. My fuse box sounded like something was crackling, so that frightened me. It would happen, interior lights would turn on for no reason, and then it would stop and start again. Granted it was almost 10pm at night and close to 20 degrees, so i couldn't sit there and really identify the problem. I pulled fuses and nothing looked wrong, but I did disconnect the battery until i can look further. Anybody ever see this problem, or have some prior experience. Maybe my fuse box went bad, but other than that, I am lost. The truck has had no other issues, this just happened out of the blue.

E99 F250
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
GEM module shorted out. It's mounted on the back side of the fuse box.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

If you pull the fuse box out and get to the module, check for corrosion. If corrosion is present, obviously replace the module but then you need to have the windshield checked for leaks because that's generally how the modules get wet.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If they are all the same I have one from a previous fix that wasn't the problem. Make me an offer
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
If you pull the fuse box out and get to the module, check for corrosion. If corrosion is present, obviously replace the module but then you need to have the windshield checked for leaks because that's generally how the modules get wet.

Thanks for the info, I will look into that. I tried getting the fuse block out last night to check for anything, but I couldn't find the secret passageway to get the darn thing out. This will be my project for the weekend. I don't think I have any leaks, but you never know, so maybe some Flex Seal is in my future
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1652 View Post
Thanks for the info, I will look into that. I tried getting the fuse block out last night to check for anything, but I couldn't find the secret passageway to get the darn thing out. This will be my project for the weekend. I don't think I have any leaks, but you never know, so maybe some Flex Seal is in my future
Just take the 4 10mm bolts out and pull it out the front. May not have a leak, but if you're not the original owner, I would say it did at one point and has been fixed but took a while for the module to go bad.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM

It is funny because my truck is kind of pieced together. The only original parts are the front fenders, frame, bed and powertrain. The cab is from a junkyard so i could see it possibly sitting there exposed. Thanks for all the info and i will let you know
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

IIRC gems are truck specific for most part. It would have to be flashed for your truck. Father in law was having 4x4 issues on his 01 lariat. Turned out to be gem. Found out cant just grab any gem an slam it in, have to get a gem then get it flashed for the truck b

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That I did not know.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Chck this site out. They deal with GEM modules and you can ask James questions to verify your problem. Ford GEM Modules Auto Parts Cheaper Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.