WHAT IS THIS? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WHAT IS THIS?

Having trouble with something and I suspect this thing. Is this in communication with the fuel pedal? I get a bouncing throttle and a really fast miss...or hiccup.....at times. It only happens when it warms up. From a cold start it never does it. Once it warms it does it. When it does it if I press the pedal more it stops. If I let off the pedal it stops. It doesn't always do it but when it does doing either thing eliminates whatever is going on. I've tried a different fuel pedal thinking it was the potentiometer...much to no avail. Same thing was happening with the new pedal. What is the feul pedal sending a signal to and where is it located? I believe that item is the problem.
WHAT IS THIS?-psd-intake-pic.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that is the boost controler. it works on a duty cycle commanded by the pcm and the input from the pcm is the map and ebp sensor. unless your problem is boost related this is not causing it.

i would suspect the icp sensor for your problem. when it acts up unplug it and see if the idle evens out. if it does the icp sensor is not reading correctly

Last edited by rangerstx; 01-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerstx View Post
that is the boost controler. it works on a duty cycle commanded by the pcm and the input from the pcm is the map and ebp sensor. unless your problem is boost related this is not causing it.

i would suspect the icp sensor for your problem. when it acts up unplug it and see if the idle evens out. if it does the icp sensor is not reading correctly
I agree.

If its doing it at idle the waste gate solenoid is not doing it. I would check icp as stated above.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Here is what it does.
At idle ...I will once in a while get a bouncing idle. The rpm won't vary by more than a few hundred rpms. You have to actually be listening for it to notice.

It can do the ugly part at several speeds.

The bad part is when driving. It will jerk really fast. Or have a super fast hiccup. A few of them. I push the gas..it goes away. I let off it goes away. It does not do this all the time. It does this certain times. Aside from a very feint and infrequent bouncing idle, the idle doesn't do anything. Most of the time the idle doesn't bounce.

The other thing I've learned to live with but it is just annoying know it is there and can do it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM

Any fuel leaks ? My 96 would do thus cause the mechanical pump was weeping fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM

No there are no fuel leaks. No engine lights on. No computer program. Nothing but a stock excursion. 2001. The jerk or bucking action is lightning fast. As I said I can make this go away. Press the go pedal more or let off. It doesn't always do this and it never does it from a cold start. Only when the engine reaches a warm operating temp is when it might start.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM

i would drop a $50 icp in it and would bet your problem goes away.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
Two things, would a bad ICP NOT throw a light on? Moreover where is this located.
I have a standard scan tool and it is coming up all proper like. No codes etc.
What would some of the readings be on one of those million dollar computers if this was bad?

I might have access to one of those comps but I don't know what is good or bad with the ICP.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
Where do you get a $50 icp and is it any good? I just picked one up from napa, had to talk them down to $150, they wanted $175.00. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With this symptom i doubt I will show any codes. My last 7.3 that I had was doing this. The only way I could catch it doing it was by looking at Icp pid graphed on ids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.