OEM keyless won't unlock after sitting overnight??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM keyless won't unlock after sitting overnight???

Couldn't find anything with the search. Long story short, keyless works fine until the truck sits overnight. Next morning, I have to unlock manually, after I start/drive it works like normal. Any ideas what could cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM

The cold can affect the door lock actuators. When it is warm, try cycling (lock / unlock) several times, if they don't work or are slow, replace you actuators. Not a hard job to do, nor is it expensive 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Actuator in Car & Truck Parts | eBay
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 AM

appreciate the input. I'm not confident that's the problem . . . Reason being, the cargo light doesn't light up either. I would think if the signal is being transmitted and received, the light would come on even if the actuators didn't function???
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

How close are you to the truck? Could it be the batt in the remote is getting weak? Just asking.....
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you sure its factory? LOL I know with aftermarket keyless, the GEM module will fall asleep and cause a similar issue. It has to be wired so it wakes the module up. I had that problem if I locked the doors from the switch and waited a little bit.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
How close are you to the truck? Could it be the batt in the remote is getting weak? Just asking.....
Good questions, so far it doesn't matter how close it is, even right up beside the cab. I replaced the battery just for good measure with no change.

On the OEM question, the original window sticker shows it came with it from the factory. This is the standard factory key fob too. No evidence of any aftermarket keyless entry installed.

This just started a few weeks ago, no problems (owned truck since Oct. 2011) up til then.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Update: This morning I tried something . . . Key fob wouldn't work so I used my key and immediately tried the fob and it worked to lock/unlock. Weird. I drove it and locked w/fob, waited 4 hours, went out and it unlocked w/fob. So it's like it is related to how long it sits.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Parked for 6 hours, fob worked. We'll see what happens 11 hours from now.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an aftermarket radio that would lose all its settings overnight. It turned out that the radio had to have a full time 12V supply in addition to the keyed power. I guess the radio had some sort of a capacitor in it that would lose its charge after a while and that would flush the memory.

Even though your system is factory installed it sounds like a similar kind of problem. Even if you have a battery instead of a capacitor it can still go bad over time.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 AM

Any thoughts on why the fob works immediately after unlocking the door manually? Possibly related to something similar to MKeeney?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.