Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Horn honking, lights flashing

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  kjvannatta 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 F250. Recently the horn has started honking and parking lights flashing about twice a second, at random times, for a couple of minutes. The only thing that stops it is inserting the key and turning it to run. I have an aftermarket remote start/alarm and at first thought that it was my culprit. I unhooked all that, but the truck still does it at random times. I pulled the horn fuse for now so it doesn't drive the neighbors insane, but it still flashes the parking lights for a couple minutes several times a day, then it will take a break for a couple days then fire back up.
I thought it might be the factory keyless entry, but since I've had the remote start forever, the factory key fobs are long gone, so I can't see if it will turn off with those remotes.
I've checked all up under the dash and have not any moisture/leaking problems.
If I hold down the horn button while its having an episode, I can still hear the parking light relay that's in the RKE module in the center of the dash clicking on and off.
I have a factory wiring schematic book, but can't see where the RKE module ties into the horn circuit. I don't want to blindly start replacing modules or clipping wires, so I'm hoping that someone else has solved this puzzle before.

Thanks

KJ

See less See more
#2 ·
Digging further into the wiring diagrams- I found the wire that comes from the GEM to drive the parking light relay in the RKE module. I clipped that wire and the parking lights stopped flashing during the episodes. This would lead me to believe that the problem originates in the GEM and not the RKE module like I was thinking.
However, I have noticed the dome light comes on when all this is happening too. I can't just keeping killing things in the truck, so I hope someone can say for sure that they've seen this happen with whatever module or sensor or whatever.

Thanks again

KJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.