New 7.3 owner needs advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 7.3 owner needs advice

Hi Everyone,
Although I am new to this form, I am not new to these type of forms. I deliver all types of trailers to dealers in the lower 48 states, Alaska & Canada, I have owned all Dodge Cummins in the past, but I have aquired a Ford powerstroke at a heck of deal in my pursuit of the ultimate light-duty tow/haul rig.

What I have bought is a 2002, E-350 superduty cab & chassis with the ambulance package, she has equipment as follows:
7.3 powerstroke
auto with overdrive
2-wheel drive
dual rear wheels
4-wheel ABS disc brakes
4:11 positrac rearend
has cruise, tilt, pwr locks, windows, mirrors(also heated), a/c
Ambulance package ( dual alternaters, larger radiator, trans cooler, front & rear springs, front & rear sway bars, rear axle air bags)

MY question is: What are the do & donts of this year powerstroke? I know every make and years have them, I know all about the Cummins & nothing about the powerstroke.

IE: what kind of fluids, (I used all synthitics in my Dodges), additives, filters, etc....

are there fliuds, additives, filters, etc... to avoid

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Do you plan on keeping it stock? You can use synthetics as long as it meets the right spec for the powerstroke. I believe most do. Your basically looking for an oil with antifoaming qualities as the injectors are fired by high pressure engine oil. Standyne or Powerservice are two good fuel additives off the top of my head. As far as filters go I use the motorcraft oil filter, but if you go with a synthetic such as amsoil you might want to use there eao filters.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Do you plan on keeping it stock? You can use synthetics as long as it meets the right spec for the powerstroke. I believe most do. Your basically looking for an oil with antifoaming qualities as the injectors are fired by high pressure engine oil. Standyne or Powerservice are two good fuel additives off the top of my head. As far as filters go I use the motorcraft oil filter, but if you go with a synthetic such as amsoil you might want to use there eao filters.
For the most part she will stay stock, the only things I ever did to my Dodges was:

Run a straight 4" exhaust
Amsoil nano air filter
superchips set in safe -tow mode

I will probaly do the same to this truck

Is Rottela 5-40 syn to light for these 7.3's, My cummins loved the stuff, but from what little I have already read on the form I am not sure if this will be a good oil for this engine.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I have been running 5w-40 for two oil changes and it made a huge difference in cold weather starts. Honestly I should get an oil analysis done. I would tell you its okay, but ford doesn't recommend that viscosity.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
I have been running 5w-40 for two oil changes and it made a huge difference in cold weather starts. Honestly I should get an oil analysis done. I would tell you its okay, but ford doesn't recommend that viscosity.
Yes I know, thats what my Dodges loved about the stuff, she started much better in cold weather & belive it or not I gained approx. 1/2-1 mpg. I have had 3 Dodges & used it in all of them, had 635,000 miles on the one Dodge & she was still going stong (motor wise) until a !@#$%^ hit me & totaled it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.