7.3 service - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 service

new to the fourm. Just bought a 2001 7.3. Getting ready to do a full service, oil change etc. what do you pros recomend for a through service. this is my third ford deisel, just got rid of an 09 and searched for a 7.3. Plan on keeping this one. thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Change oil and filter every 5k-7k miles, I use Rotella 15/40 and motorcraft filters. Fuel filter every 30k miles, transmission fluid and filter every 30k miles. Switch to a 6637 air filter if it don't already have one and change it out every 30k miles.Keep the engine and engine bay clean, I do a good cleaning with strong degreaser twice a year. When washing the engine protect the air filter and alternator with bags. This is all I have done and just rolled over 440,000 miles. I did switch to Zerex ELC back in the summer and truck runs cooler, had to install a new water pump. If you are unsure of the condition of the truck, I would do all of the above and check the fluid level in the axles, and transfer case (4x4?). If they are low top them off. How many miles on your truck? Welcome back to the 7.3!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM

Love the 7.3 stick with motorcraft filters! Don't skimp on cheap if your tempted.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depending how the previous owner took care of it, miles, clean/dirty the trans fluid is, you may not want to do a trans flush. Many times the dirt is what's helping your clutch packs until the inevitable. This common in all vehicles regardless of manufacturer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Make sure you use aluminum friendly coolant too. Previous owner on mine didn't and my oil cooler housings were rotted out. Damn things were expensive and a dealer only part.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for info. truck has 99000 and is in great shape. 250 crew long wheel base, 5 inch exhaust. cold air intake, evolution programmer. leveled with
315's. alot of info out there about coolant, appears mine is green and looks to be clean but not sure how to test or what to use . how do you know, just flush and use what? anybody know a good site for parts, headlight lens, running lights etc. thnks in advance
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Most, not all, of the green is aluminum friendly now, but I really don't know how one would be able to test if it is. When I bought mine I put dexcool in it. I know its a GM requirement, but since the duramax has aluminum heads I'm sure its good for our trucks with just a few aluminum coolant exposed parts.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdfishin View Post
thanks for info. truck has 99000 and is in great shape. 250 crew long wheel base, 5 inch exhaust. cold air intake, evolution programmer. leveled with
315's. alot of info out there about coolant, appears mine is green and looks to be clean but not sure how to test or what to use . how do you know, just flush and use what? anybody know a good site for parts, headlight lens, running lights etc. thnks in advance
I would go ahead and change engine and transmission oil, fluid and filters. As for the coolant, don't use dexcool! As I stated i switched to Zerex ELC (extended life coolant) this stuff will last 300,000 miles with out any additives. Any Cat approved ELC will work great in the 7.3, just do a little research. I would assume your green coolant is the original with only 99,000 miles, most people ignor the coolant when it comes to service.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
I would not freak out over dex-cool in a 7.3. Dex-cool is an OAT based coolant that uses 2-EHA in it. 2-EHA, which is used in MANY coolants meeting Cat EC-1 as well, gave dex cool a bad name cause it ate the gasket material GM used in some of its vehicles. It is the same reason ELCs aren't recommended for early 99 7.3s cause some, those that use 2-EHA, will eat the injector cup sealant.

Is dex-cool the best coolant for a 7.3... hmm...probably not but it shouldn't hurt anything in a late 99-03 7.3 or a E99 that has had its injectors replaced.

As far as maintenance on my truck I follow the same basic schedule as Codum... oil & filter every 5-7k (except I run whatever brand name 15w40 in the summer and a diesel rated 10w30 in the winter), fuel filter every 15k, ATF in trans every 30k, ATF in the power steering system and xcase every two years, brake fluid every two years. I am running Zerex G-05, same thing as MC gold coolant and I check the SCA's every 15k and add if needed. I did the rear diff about two years ago with redline 75w-140 and probably won't touch it for a while. I haven't done the front diff yet cause I honestly just keep forgetting and haven't had the time recently.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Sounds like you know what your talking about with coolant. I've been running Dexcool for the last 20,000 and have had no issues. Except I had to replace oil cooler, but that was from the green non-aluminum friendly coolant. It pitted the housings really bad and obviously started leaking oil and getting some in the coolant reservoir. Anyways, it seems Dexcool is just fine for my e99???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.