Parts to Carry with you? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Parts to Carry with you?

Hey all, I looked but couldn't find a thread on this. I'm going on a long road trip w/ the new truck next month. Is there anything that you know of that would be handy to have in case of a breakdown that is specific to these trucks? For instance...I've heard that a glow-plug relay is something you should throw in the toolbox. Anything else that is small or is a known problem that I should have with me at all times that could avert a roadside breakdown? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 09:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
Crankshaft Position sensor would be handy.

There are some other suggestions here for general things, tho most of it is towing stuff.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Power Strokeaholic

you cant go wrong with a cps and fuel filter.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

Glow plug relay isnt really a necissity during the summer....

CPS
Fuel filter
and then the obvious...tool kit, flashlight, etc.....
Old 07-25-2006, 06:29 PM

Remote ? That is the key....

Look you lucky Guys and Gals over there in America have a Ford Dealer Parts supply every 50-100 miles with auto parts shops and Ford Dealers....

Here in Oz (Australia) we might only have one that carried Ford Parts 1000 miles away or farther. So here is a different perspective:

I carry more that just one fuel filter, in case I got a bad slug of diesel....
I just got a spare CPS for $98 from Powerstrokeshop.com flown over to me...
And now it does not relate to you with a new truck, but mine is three years old, so I carry spare upper and lower radiator hoses, and fan belt...

Other than that, you are probably OK.... We have to think about spares as "Out there" really means Waaaaaaaaaay out !!!

Older ones if going remote? On my older F-350 4x4 that I regret having sold, but that is another story... I carried a spare starter motor, TPS (throttle position), Transmission shift module because it was an automatic electronic shift, spare injectors, and even a fully reconditioned injection pump, and a fuel mechanical lift pump... as Ford parts were not readily available at that time.... You might not have to get that extreme, but the spare starter is not bad if you have an auto, and keep in mind this is not money thrown away, when I sold my F-350, I sold all the parts separately... And they all fit in a small box. Unlikely to be broken down anywhere with that kit on board, and not be able to get home... But then again this is the extreme of conditions here in Oz, and unless you are Elk hunting in the remotes part of Idaho or something you don't need to be that independent. You can alway call for help. Here? Help might have to come a looong ways.

The Lone Ranger is not Crazy... Ha!

And guess what? My Daughter just one NRHA Youth Champion of Australia!!!!
National Reining Horse Association WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:17 AM

Hey thanks for the good advice. I'll go pick up a spare filter and a CPS sometime. Yeah LoneRanger I'm not venturing out into the wilderness just yet. You're right, we probably take for granted over here how accessible parts are. I knew a guy at another job a few years back that drove a 74 Dodge Dart Sport everyday....I swear that guy could rebuild his whole car alongside the road, he even had a spare tranny (4 speed) in the trunk!!! Thanks again...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:39 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a spare tranny! ahhaha wow

Good for your daughter lone ranger.. how old is she?

CPS/Fuel Filter/2 Gallons of oil/ o-rings assorted sizes/ tools/diesel jugs/tow rope/tie downs or wratchet straps/flashlights/food that doesn't go bad/a few drinks in the back/ a jack/good working spare/air compressor runs off battery/air that runs outa cigarette/ extension coord/power inverter/lighter/2 2x6's about 3 feet long/ I think that's about everything I carry.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Infidel

Make sure you have all of the basic hand tools, sockets, a can of fix-a-flat, and a roll of DUCT TAPE!!!!!!
Craig
Old 07-28-2006, 08:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to bigcountry250
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeetxn
Make sure you have all of the basic hand tools, sockets, a can of fix-a-flat, and a roll of DUCT TAPE!!!!!!
Craig
Yea what he said!!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain
a spare tranny! ahhaha wow

Good for your daughter lone ranger.. how old is she?

CPS/Fuel Filter/2 Gallons of oil/ o-rings assorted sizes/ tools/diesel jugs/tow rope/tie downs or wratchet straps/flashlights/food that doesn't go bad/a few drinks in the back/ a jack/good working spare/air compressor runs off battery/air that runs outa cigarette/ extension coord/power inverter/lighter/2 2x6's about 3 feet long/ I think that's about everything I carry.
When I had a fully Imported Texas F-350 4x4 to Australia, Ford was not even in the country... Think about that for a minute and you might realize that having a spare E4OD auto trans is not as crazy as it sounds... Ha! Specially when I had already done one into misery... Ha!

As to my Daughter wining the NRHA Reining Horse Championship, She is 13, one of two twins, the other took 4th... And they are Awesome. She also took second in an Adult Rookie Class at the Fraser Coast Reining Spectacular. They are going to be TERRORS in the NRHA in the Future .... Ha!

Cheers from Oz....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.