What would you do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What would you do?

Ok, first let me start by saying that I am a gas mechanic and know very little about diesels but am learning. So in jan of 2012 I bought a 2000 f250 7.3 crew cab zf6 stock everything. Paid too much money for it but I wanted it (I thought). A week after I got it home it over heated I checked it out found out I had a cracked block. Did my research to find out I can fix it with a product called lock n stitch (I have not done it yet) for about $500.00 me doing the labor. About a month ago I started having problems with towing no power I hooked up a scanner no codes I was at my whits end. I took it to a local shop that had a diesel mechanic they told me that they had a ford scanner that pulled up two codes and none of the other scanners would pull these codes. # 3 and # 8 injectors are over fueling and need to be replaced, and my turbo was leaking and it needs to be replaced. They told me how much it would cost for those and I politely told them thank you and left. So here come the question.

Option 1: I could sell the truck for what ever I could get ( not much with the problems)

Option 2: buy a new engine from someone like jasper $9000 installed (I really don't have that kind of money)

Option 3: replace turbo $525 replace all 8 injectors glow plugs, harness, and valve cover gasket $1089 fix crack in block $500 total $2114 plus shipping

Option 4: replace with a used engine ( I have seen them for +\- $2500 with 150000 miles + on them)

Option 5: drive it until it dies hope I get some more time out of it.

What would you do?

Wow I am so sad today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM

Oh, if we are going with option 3 which I am leaning towards would you buy an upgraded turbo? Upgraded injectors?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Dude that suck's, sorry to hear your having these issues...

If it were me and if your mechanically inclined, I would opt for a used motor but I would remove the heads drop the oil pan and inspect it before install... Also would replace all gaskets and head studs if you can afford to do it at that time and you could end up with a sound motor when done...
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Personally, I'd choose Option 4 at the best deal you could find and like htgspecialties said: prep it before you drop it in.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry to hear that man. I agree with the above. If you have the means to do it buy a used block and set it up right before you drop it in.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM

If I went with option 4 it would have to be dropped in the way it was bought. Same injectors, same turbo, same head bolts. My max my MAD wife has given me is $3000 and I would have to rent a space at the DIY shop. I don't have the capabilities of replacing that heavy of engine at my house.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Behavior Modificationist

I know what you mean about the wife
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM

You could always rebuild the turbo/fix the "leaks", for under $100. The change change out just the known failing injectors (if they are in fact bad with the proper tests).

Then you could sell it it. I usually don't recommend people getting out of a vehicle after just a few issues, but sounds like you're already in it for more than you were thinking/expecting to invest into parts.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishsd View Post
If I went with option 4 it would have to be dropped in the way it was bought. Same injectors, same turbo, same head bolts. My max my MAD wife has given me is $3000 and I would have to rent a space at the DIY shop. I don't have the capabilities of replacing that heavy of engine at my house.
i'd rebuild the engine with aftermarket parts and just make a beast out of it to be honest with you.. or you can do a 6BT conversion or something too if you want.. i like option 3, replace the parts with good stuff.. then you'll be happy.. wifey needs to understand that you can buy quality parts and do it right now.. or you can do it wrong twice!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM

We are supposed to tell our wives what we spend on our trucks??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.