Help diagnose cold operation issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help diagnose cold operation issue

99 E350 PSD, 113k.

Occasionally when its very cold (below freezing) my PSD likes to do something funny. Startup is normal - GPR kicks on, crank, fire. Idles great. I let it idle as long as I can which is up to 10 minutes if I have the time, or 2-3 minutes if I'm late for work

The road I take is uphill about a half mile to a stop sign. As I pull out, everything is fine. I keep very light throttle since its cold. A few times now, about halfway up the hill, it starts "missing" and I mean its just like dropping a spark on a gas vehicle. I lose a cylinder and it chugs a cloud of unburnt fuel (bluish white). Normally that's all I get from it and it behaves after the stop sign.

This morning, it didn't want to move from the stop sign. It was idling rough (missing a cylinder), and when I hit the accelerator it didn't respond. It was as if the computer was only letting me get about 3% throttle. I put it in neutral and let it rev a bit and I got the cylinder back, put it in D, and it never gave me another bit of trouble - not on the way to work, not on the way to lunch, not on the way home.

Scanner reveals no codes pending, no codes set.

I considered the following:
- bad fuel; although it has done it over a few weeks and a few different fuel supplies.
- fuel filter; although it was changed about 8000 miles ago, it could be a problem.
- fuel gelling; but wouldn't that cause more issues than just one time in the morning when its cold?
- water in the fuel; but I opened the drain on the filter housing and only got diesel. I also verified that the "water in fuel" light is operational, but that may not mean anything.

Do these symptoms point to anything specific to you folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'jm no expert. What weight oil are you running? Might be a sticky injector? Don't know that those would throw a code.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

15w40 Rotella... its ready for an oil change and I have some 5w40 synthetic ready to go in.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

You need to let the engine warm up it is not a good idea to crank it , wait 10 min then leave, atleast plug it in at night
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3HeavyHauler View Post
at least plug it in at night
I would love to... but its a TX truck that didn't come with a block heater. I need to add one. I've owned several PSDs in PA winters and never plugged them in and they never had this problem. I agree that plugging it in at night is the best thing to do, but I don't think that is the cause of the problem.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree it sounds like something is not up to snuff. Unfortunately i am not versed enough to be able to be of much help.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get some diesel kleen 911 and put it in the tank.

Drain the fuel bowl and fill it up with the 911 too.

If you do this, I would go ahead and change the filter again if the fuel is suspect. (I know, the damn things aren't cheap).
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To keep from being weary of the they fuel you get, try and buy it at the big truck stops that turn over a lot of fuel.

The mom and pop/smaller fuel stations that don't turn over a lot of fuel stand more of a chance of fuel contamination.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Thick, cold, heavy molasses oil not circulating. After 8k miles, couldnt hurt to change that fuel filter. Do you run any diesel additives? Im a personal fan of Diesel Kleen.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

a 10 minute warmup is not enough for these trucks, I would suggest a longer warmup time in that environment, summer/spring not so much, winter and subzero temps yeah, mine doesn't move until it gets to operating temp, thats why i did the hi idle mod, i run out there get it started, hit the hi idle and go back inside for breakfast and coffee by then she's ready to haul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.