Lessons Learned from 02 F350 7.3L Waterpump replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lessons Learned from 02 F350 7.3L Waterpump replacement

Figured this may help someone who finds himself in my shoes (in the driveway, in the dark, with what you thought were all the parts you'd need, on the night before Christmas eve...with no spare vehicle).

1.) Buy/Rent/Borrow the proper tool for the fan clutch nut. I did the strap wrench/pipe wrench combo and mostly busted my knuckles and cussed. Called my buddy (actual diesel mechanic...not the shade tree variety) and he set the 2 wrenches on his tailgate for my wife to swing by and pick-up. Took all of 2 seconds to loosen, and zero heartburn, using the right tools.

2.) If you have an 02 like me, your original waterpump (or perhaps a replacement ) will have a short nipple of a lower outlet neck that just comes straight off the pump. If you buy the replacement lower radiator hose for an 02, it will be bent correctly and have the correct length to accommodate this style of lower outlet neck. My problem was, I bought an Airtex AW4114 water pump, which fits the truck, comes with ALL relevant gaskets, and a NEW lower outlet neck...just turns out the lower outlet neck is the 90deg style that is longer and apparently more common. In addition to being longer and bent, it is also a larger diameter, so you can't just cut the hose to make it work, nor will your factory spring hose-clamp work The correct hose is flared on that end to account for this, and switching to worm-gear hose clamps seems like a better idea than spring clamps anyway, so that change just forces your hand.

Luckily local auto parts store had some limited hours on Christmas eve and I got it straightened out.

In my case (02 F350, 7.3, SRW, 6spd Manual, 4x4) the correct parts were:

Airtex AW4114 water pump (included t-stat gasket, water pump gasket, heater hose pipe o-ring, lower outlet o-ring and a new lower outlet neck with bolts). Less than $100 with a lifetime warranty.

Gates 22433 Upper AROUND the belt radiator hose.

Gates 22434 Lower hose (for earlier than 02 super duty...CORRECT hose for the 90deg outlet neck).

Gates 22690 is INCORRECT, but is the listed lower hose for this truck.

Stant 14269 was the 195deg t-stat I put in. Couldn't find any conclusive evidence to support going hotter, so I just stuck with what's worked for the past 230k miles.

Motorcraft RH-63 t-stat housing. Didn't go billet because mine didn't leak..."ain't broke, don't fix it"...so I couldn't justify over 2x the cost for a part that seemed to be working fine. If I replace the pump again, I'll replace the housing again, and I'll still have money in my pocket compared to buying billet. If I end up replacing the t-stat over and over, maybe I'll regret that decision, but again, I'm at 230k miles and haven't had a problem yet [knocking on my wooden desk as I type].

I also replaced an idler pulley and the serpentine belt while I was there, as well as the aforementioned worm-gear style hose clamps in favor of spring clamps (remember, at least 1 is going to be necessary if you have the factory style hose and swap to the earlier style due to the new outlet neck).

There. Just figured I'd sum up my experience in case someone searches in the future because if I'd read that before I started, my night would have gone much smoother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow... what an ordeal. Good to know you got it taken care of, and back together. Good info too, I'm gonna save that, though it seems to only apply to later trucks (as in your '02)?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM

The hose that worked with the 90deg outlet was the listed hose for a 2000 7.3 super duty, so the break is either 00/01 or 01/02, I didn't check the listed hose for 01 once I saw that the 22434 hose from 2000 was shorter and flared but there is certainly a difference that occurred somewhere around 01 that can't be conquered by just cutting the hose.

I also flushed my coolant and went with Fleetrite ELC, which I now think was silly...what if I change my waterpump again at another 100,000 miles? I'm just going to dump my good-for-500,000 mile, $26/gallon coolant into a bucket
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM

It's not hard to save the coolant, filter it with paint filters, and re-use it, if you choose to. If that's what you put in, save/re-use might be a good idea!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
It's not hard to save the coolant, filter it with paint filters, and re-use it, if you choose to. If that's what you put in, save/re-use might be a good idea!
Touche' sir. Hadn't thought of just using a clean bucket and a filter
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my man your about to actually save me some grief...i am almost in the same boat as you. Just drove 700 miles and got here to the grandparents house by Dallas Texas and looking to replace the water pump. I have a 99 7.3 auto...i have ordered the airtex aw4114 set for delivery on friday. do i have the right lower hose or do i need to order the Gates 22434 Lower hose ? also i see the Gates 22433 Upper hose....i assume that is route the hose around the serpentine belt instead of through it correct?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotairgypsy View Post
my man your about to actually save me some grief...i am almost in the same boat as you. Just drove 700 miles and got here to the grandparents house by Dallas Texas and looking to replace the water pump. I have a 99 7.3 auto...i have ordered the airtex aw4114 set for delivery on friday. do i have the right lower hose or do i need to order the Gates 22434 Lower hose ? also i see the Gates 22433 Upper hose....i assume that is route the hose around the serpentine belt instead of through it correct?
Should already be the right hose, but easy enough to just stick your head under there and see if the outlet neck is like 8"long and curved or 2" long and straight. If curved already, you're good.

Yes, that's the gates hose for around the belt.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
nothing like that feeling of only vehicle. I am here sitting at my daughters' grandparents house 700 miles from all my fancy tools...good thing i packed several tools i so think i have enough but never know until i get into it. I have parts shipping in from NY, Tucson, phoenix, and several other towns to get me back on the road. They all have to arrive around the same time frame for all this to go in in a reasonable time frame. Like that will happen Every time i am here i am running all over the place doing different things to keep myself entertained and make a few bucks. Instead i am sitting in a recliner typing I need my truck up and running so i can get out and about. at least i am saving money on diesel fuel.

ps: thanks for your post...I just ordered new upper and lower radiator hoses to make sure all goes in nice and neat
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM

FWIW, i recently did this job and used the same airtex pump. I just cut the difference off my existing lower house and got it back on there. Try dipping the end in a pot of hot water the soften up the hose and it will slip right on there.

As far as the fan, use a small vice grip to clamp the side of the pulley and turn the fan untill the vice grip stops on something.
Now a large pipe wrench and "Bob's your uncle" super easy and no tool rental.

I did however change my upper hose to the ambulance style and replaced the thermostat.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
FWIW, i recently did this job and used the same airtex pump. I just cut the difference off my existing lower house and got it back on there. Try dipping the end in a pot of hot water the soften up the hose and it will slip right on there.

As far as the fan, use a small vice grip to clamp the side of the pulley and turn the fan untill the vice grip stops on something.
Now a large pipe wrench and "Bob's your uncle" super easy and no tool rental.

I did however change my upper hose to the ambulance style and replaced the thermostat.
If push came to shove, I agree with both of your points, but luckily I have a few buddies who don't live far away, and are typically looking for an excuse to escape their respective wives/toddlers for a few minutes, so I managed to get a ride to get the new hose (which was less than $20, so it's not like it was prohibitively expensive) and as I said...have a good friend who works on diesels for a living, so I could easily borrow the fan clutch wrench set (which he told me was not an expensive thing...like $50 on the tool truck, so probably $25 if you look on the internet). Plus in my case, that big nut was so tight that with the 2' of wrench, plus a 2' breaker bar, I still had to "sneak up" on it to get it to break loose...my pipe wrench probably wouldn't have gotten it without rooting around the garage for the proper diameter pipe to gain some extra leverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.