need some help troubleshooting a problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
need some help troubleshooting a problem

well for Christmas we traveled to Dallas from abq. 700 mile trip was uneventful until the last 100 miles or so. I felt a new metalish grind in the floor and gas pedal. I can hear it also but do not know where it is coming from. Does vary in intensity with reving the engine. In the last 5000 miles i have replaced the starter, alternator, power steering pump, serpentine belt, and tensioner and both pullies on the tensioner. It did not leave me stranded and we made it here. I let the truck sit overnight and checked it this morning. I remote started it while i was under hood and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. Took it for a drive and can tell it was still there. Seemed to get more obvious as the truck warmed up. I suspect it is the water pump but do not know for sure. here are some pics of the pump from this morning. I am not seeing any puddles of antifreeze.
Attached Thumbnails
need some help troubleshooting a problem-waterpump1.jpg   need some help troubleshooting a problem-waterpump2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

You have and side to side movement if you wiggle the fan?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any chance we can get square on the cluster?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
You have and side to side movement if you wiggle the fan?
i took off the belt to feel for the movement in the pump and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamv7010 View Post
Any chance we can get square on the cluster?

I shipped you your cluster and you tracked it all the way to your home town then the post office got them self confused. Until I get it back we are at a standstill. I did my part and shipped it with tracking. I cannot control the people at the post office in your area. You have the tracking number and i have called and am waiting back for a call. I have told you this already. You are more than welcome to call the post office and see if they can get some answers since they are the ones not doing their job.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotairgypsy View Post
I shipped you your cluster and you tracked it all the way to your home town then the post office got them self confused. Until I get it back we are at a standstill. I did my part and shipped it with tracking. I cannot control the people at the post office in your area. You have the tracking number and i have called and am waiting back for a call. I have told you this already. You are more than welcome to call the post office and see if they can get some answers since they are the ones not doing their job.
You might wanna call them back. The postmaster told me a week and a half ago it had been delivered back to you.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Put the belt back on and try to rotate the fan by hand. Should have resistance but should turn. If it's extremely hard to turn or won't turn, then the clutch is junk. I ran into this on an 03. The bearing locked up in the clutch and pretty much welded itself to the shaft. The noise wasn't there at idle but when you revved it up in neutral or got it under a load and got on it, it would screech/grind. Basically what was happening is the belt was slipping on the fan pulley because of the fan clutch being locked up.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM

i will check that...i am not getting any screeching but the grinding is there...
Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 PM

ok...just checked it with the belt installed and I can spin the fan pretty easy...not a whole lot of resistance. I took it a step further and disconnected the serpentine belt from the crank and started it. I felt great...didnt feel any weird vibration. so the vibration comes on with belt installed and stronger when warmed up. This removes long block, starter, and loose flywheel from the equation it seems...which is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.