Intermittent more power/cackle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Intermittent more power/cackle -updated

I'm pretty sure this just started 2 days ago when it got cold, but I'm worried it may be related to the TS chip I installed a week ago. Here's what I got:

On cold startup idling in the driveway the idle will randomly bump up for a moment. When it idles up for that moment there is increased noise that sounds like cackling.
Then when I get under way the power will randomly kick in, and with it comes that louder diesel cackle sound. I'll go to accelerate from a stop and it will be down on power then suddenly it wants to run great. It starts cutting in and out noticably.

I thought maybe it was the chip working intermittently (cause thats what it feels like ) so i switched the chip over to the stock setting and it still does it, it's just not as noticable because there isnt as much power to kick in and out I think.

No new coddes are stored in memory (I have a snap on scanner), so should I pull the chip and see if it keeps doing it? Or check something else first?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by copracr; 12-24-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the same problem and once it warmed up it ran fine turned out I had a bad #5 injector
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Yea, I should mention it seems to stay "powered up" more as it gets warmed up. Did yours have a miss? Mine isn't a miss, it's definitely running smooth when it's weaker.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM

I had the same thing real loud clacking no power when cold or after the truck sat for a few days then it would eventually go a way when the truck warmed up didn't seem to have a miss I had a contribution test done and thats what gave me the answer
Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Do you know if the contribution test was done on a cold motor? Sounds like I need to do one and I think my snap on scanner has that ability.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 PM

I cannot give you a answer to that question I was not there I would think if an injector is bad its bad I would think if it heats up it will expand and get quieter since they are made out of steel but I really don't know for sure just my thoughts
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM

I did the contribution test and was normal. Then I finally got a CEL when I disconnected the chip and drove around for a while.

Codes stored are P0113 (IAT stuck at -40), P1140 (water in fuel?), and p1211 which says ICP high/low.

I'm not sure whats the chicken and the egg without some better diagnostic tools so I recorded some ICP values while driving.

When the power cuts in while accelerating from a stop, my ICP value goes from 6000kpa (870 psi) right to 16000 (2320 psi) instantly.

On a full throttle run it will spike up to 19000Kpa (2755psi) then settle down to a little over 16000 (2320 psi). At idle it flutuates from 2800-3600 Kpa (377-522psi).

I'm just guessing the IPR is getting stuck at low pressures? This all just started 3 days ago when it got cold out. Any better suggestions for testing or repairing outright?

Sorry about the Kpa, that's what my snap on scanner reads out. I went through and converted to psi since thats what everyone seems to be using.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

When is the last time you changed your oil? Sounds like the IPR to me.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
When is the last time you changed your oil? Sounds like the IPR to me.
New long block and gaskets installed 500 miles ago. All the stuff bolted to it has 200k miles and fresh paint though.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Sounds like you are far more advanced than I am but heres another thing that I could think of what if the oil is to heavy for the cold climate until it warms up and thins out just something else I really don't know if someone else has any idea here chime in at anytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.