Possible dumb question - loose drag link - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible dumb question - loose drag link

Should I be able to twist/manipulate my drag link by hand? It should be tight, correct?

I have had a slight vibration in the truck, that I feel mainly in the steering wheel @ 65mph+, and I think I have found it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You're talking about the connection between the Pitman Arm (comes out of the steeringbox) and the Center Link (attaches the two hubs together) - right ? (to me a Drag Link goes front/rear from the Pitman to the knuckle)

Anyway, those "rod ends" really have to be able to "twist" and rotate as you turn while the suspension travels up & down. So, I'd say there's nothing wrong with the twist, as long as you see no Back & Forth slop. With the truck on the ground, have somebody wiggle the wheel side to side in whatever slop there is in the steering (there needs to be some) while you're underneath looking for that "play" to be in a particular end.

If it's mostly in the steeringbox, and none of the ends show slop, your vibration is coming from somewhere else (in most cases, steering linkage isn't the cause in a 4WD truck anyway...)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

hows your tires? new or been around the block a few times...I'm just throwing this out there but maybe you need your tires balanced
Old 12-22-2012, 05:51 PM

The tires are brand new when I got the truck. Had the static balancers tossed and had the wheels rotated and balanced. They balanced out really well too. Still vibrating.

I also noticed my front sway bar bushings have had it. I once rode in a car that was missing one of the front sway bar end links and that sucker vibrated something fierce. I have a Energy Suspension kit on the way to fix that.

I was just wondering if anybody else's drag link could be twisted/manipulated by hand easily.

Just to note the truck did this before I installed new ball joints, fixed spindle hubs, and axle u-joints.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Yeah they'll rotate over probably 20-30*. If you're still concerned about it, key on, engine off with the steering column unlocked, have someone crank the steering wheel left to right and check for play in the all the rod ends in the front end and your ball joints (going to need to jack the front end up to check the ball joints and the outer tie rod ends). Could find a worn ball joint the culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.