Used 01 lariat 7.3 , What do you think ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used 01 lariat 7.3 , What do you think ?

I Found this one craigslist, looks to be in good shape. this will be my first diesel , well first vehicle of any kind for that matter. It does have a rebuilt title ( guy said driver front fender, grille, and bumper were replaced), But from looking around this is all i can afford. I have about $7500 saved up, Im really set on a diesel. I have a couple buddies with diesels ( duramax, 3 with cummins, and one with a 6.0 ) Ive been around cars and dirt bikes all my life, so i have quite a bit of mechanical abilities, but dont know much about diesels. It has 237k , but a fairly new tranny ( has reciept). what do you guys think ? Heres the link : 2001 7.3 powerstroke crew cab for sale or trad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like he is being up front about it. Go check it out and if it run good, looks nice try waving a little cash in his face and see if he will come down a little.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Behavior Modificationist

I would be a little weary of this one. "Rebuilt Title" to me translates as "Salvage Title" which throws a red flag. With this title, the vehicle has been in a severe enough accident where the cost to repair is more than the vehicle is worth (on paper). Folks get the Salvage title for the damaged vehicle, fix it and sell it. Not saying this is EXACTLY the story here, but be cautious. Why only one photo from the back? Get more photos before considering anymore on this truck. Look for any defects in the paint, color (new/old paint), body lines (do they match up?) And anything else that may not "look right". Consider too that many will conceal a wrecked front end by taking the "upgraded" look (05-07 conversion). Though not always the case, it will fool a buyer with an untrained eye.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd offer him 5,000... With a rebuilt title.. That's all its worth IMO.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:53 PM

For made a million Super Duties, surely there is another one out there besides a rebuilt title.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM

If you pull the trigger on it, ditch the Edge and get some custom tunes. Or just get rid of the Edge...our transmissions don't like them too much.

From the picture it looks like a nice truck. But, I'd personally look underneath it and try and see if there's any areas on the frame where rust has popped off, which can be a good indicator of a tweaked chassis (I noticed this on my dad's 6.0 when it was totaled...almost bought it for a Fummins conversion until I saw that....). See how it drives, take it wide open and see how the engine responds and how the trans acts.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 AM

You're 16... do you NEED a diesel? Or just want one?

Reason I ask, is diesels are freakin expensive to maintain and drive. My F-150 was much much cheaper to maintain. Everything from tires to oil changes to brakes. Best thing to save money that I ever did was park my diesel (I don't need it on a daily basis) and buy a beater car.

Now, having said that, I love my truck and it's not going anywhere, but I think there might be better options that won't bleed you dry in maintenance costs.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No need for a diesel, ive just always wanted one. The guy sent me tons of pictures , everything looks straight. Going to look at it this weekend w/ my uncle whos a body man for Ford (he also buys wrecked vehicles and fixes them his self). Any other things i should worry about or look for with 237k ? If its nice im planning on offering him 5k and go from there

Last edited by still strokin97; 12-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Rebuilt titles are a good way to buy the truck you want at about a 60% off from what they are worth. Just be smart about the repair that was done. Fenders or door skins no worries but frame damage is a big no go. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM

if your uncle is a body man i would strongly suggest that you take him with you when you look at the truck to advise you he may see things that you miss it is always good to have another person with you when looking at a used vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.