Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Diesel engine rumping

762 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Turbostang500 
#1 ·
I was wondering what may cause your diesel engine to make 2 or 3 rumping sounds when it first sarts up, and then smoothens right out. Its wierd, i go to sart it when its really cold and it starts and goes rump, rump, rump, and then idles normal. It's like I am not getting fuel when i first sart it. Any ideas, could it be the ipr sensor?

#2 ·
Do you understand how heui works?
First I bet you're using 15w40 oil.
so that oil is thick cold.
When firing, injector 6 fires, using the oil and fuel in the rails. The fuel can be replenished faster than the oil since the oil is so thick. Then, injector 8 tries to fire, but has too little oil and basically misfires.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

#3 ·
I am currently using 5w40 synthetic oil. This makes me believe that maybe my IPR valve is not working right or that my oil pump is getting weak.

#5 ·
Yes I have it back to stock since I had the glowplugs replaced thinking this may be the problem. I might try switching it back to tow. I have never had the programmer in any other function than tow and stock.

#6 ·
I had the same thing but mine was 2 bad glow plugs.
it would surge hard 3 or 4 times then level off but would still have a misfire until it got a little heat in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.