Buying my first 7.3L have questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying my first 7.3L have questions

Hello everyone it looks like I finally will be able to get my first diesel. It won't be my daily driver but it will be occassionally driven empty and mainly for towing duties for around 9,000#'s. I am looking for a Crew Cab 4 wheel drive and like the 94-98 body style but heard the 99 and up powerstroke have more hp and around here seem to go for similiar prices. I have looked (online) at ones in my budget with mileage from 160K to 260K and wanted to here what people thought about high mileage used diesels. In the past I have bought a few gas vehicles over 200K that were maintained and I didn't have any particular problems with them but by then the trans was rebuilt and the suspension was starting to show its age. Are they able to get 20+ mpg's on the highway? Do I have to use any additives with the fuel? How long do injectors and high pressure pumps last? I am trying to avoid making unnecessary mistakes so thanks for any help/info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 AM

welcome to the org. ok now thats out of the way yes the 99 and up have more power than the 97 and down have stock. honestly the milage on a 7.3 is about 16 to 18 miles per gallon. unless you get a chip they get a little better milage if you dont get on it but we all know that wont happen lol. the only time i run additives in my fuel is in the winter time i run power services diesel clean in the white bottle .i have seen stock injectors and the stock hpop go past 200,000 miles it all depends on how much the truck was beat on and how often the oil was changed.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Thanks I am still looking between mostly CC SRW and a few Excursions.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM

i lust bought a 01 extended cab 8 ft. bed 350 srw 4by4 in march and get 13-16.shop around a little.i picked this up new paint and interior (it was a farmers truck).motor was clean before they did anything.i was there when they got it in.made a deal before they fixed it up for 12,800 with a 6 month warranty.installing edge 15001 for hopefully more mileage and guages lol.

Last edited by adams01; 12-21-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.