Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine accelerates on it own

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Painplus 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, new problem. First, last saturday morning I replaced my icp as it was leaking oil and I had a shudder at low rpm. No codes, ford checked injectors, buzz and CCT, tech said injectors were fine to start by replacing icp then ipr. I replaced the icp last Saturday, took it for a drive and shudder was gone. I also noticed oil on the top of motor so I washed it off as I have done twice a year since I bought the truck new. After washing it would not start! Well it would for a few seconds then slowly die, sometimes, sometimes it would not start at all, just crank over, no smoke no start. With out smoke no fuel, after about two hours it finely started. Now the problem, I commute 90 miles to work every day. Everyday this week once or twice each way the engine feels like it is accelerating. I let of the pedal it stops, I press the pedal again and it bucks really hard once or twice, then it runs fine the rest of the trip, no cel. Had it scanned and no codes. Anybody experience this?:dunno:

#2 ·
These trucks are drive-by-wire, there's an accl pedal position sensor, maybe that's going bad?

#3 ·
Either that or I Wonder if the IPR is acting up.

#4 ·
I was thinking ipr also. Read about the throttle position sensors and from what others have described as it acting up at a certain throttle position each time, mine don't. Mine has done it a various speeds 50-70, never at idle. With the engine running I have wiggled all the wires on the motor with no changes so I don't think I have a harness or chaffed wire issue. Think I will replace the ipr and see if that fixes it.. Thanks!

#7 ·
Ok, still having the acceleration issue, also learning more about the issue. It actually cuts out, like it dies for a second. When it cuts out I notice on my scan gauge the icp drops to zero. When it accelerates the icp pressure increases own its on, I actually have to let off the throttle to slow it down. Both cases really last 2-3 seconds. Here's the really weird part, it happens at the same spot on the road. To be more clear, I noticed when I pass this cell tower? It happens every time with out fail, regardless of engine speed or engine tempeture. It all started when I replaced my icp sensor due to lack of power and oil leak at the old icp sensor. The new sensor did help out with the lack of power, but ever since I installed this new NAPA icp sensor this acceleration/cutting out has been happening. I travel the same path every day. This tower is 5 miles from my home and 80 miles from my place of work. On the way to work every morning the engine cuts out, on the way home every afternoon it accelerates when i pass this tower. I know this sounds crazy, but is is possible the tower is affecting this sensor?

#8 ·
No responses, yea I thought it was kinda crazy. However this morning when I passed the cell tower it cut out again, icp dropped to zero for 2-3 seconds then pressure came back. So I turned around three (3) times and same thing every time. Drove 86 miles to work with no issues, then drove home 86 miles, no issues till I pass the cell tower, same thing icp dropped to zero for couple seconds. So I pull over, unplug the icp sensor, turn around and pass the cell tower two times and no problem. I did notice on my scan gauge it did show an icp pressure, I have read the computer generates this pressure own its on when the icp is unplugged. So I pull over, plug the icp back up, turn around and pass the tower two more times, both times icp dropped to zero. No question in my mind I have a bad sensor that for some reason is being affected by this cell tower, I think it's a cell tower, my be for something else, but whatever it is, it is causing my sensor to cancel out and send bad info to the computer. Also this tower is very close to the road, it the closest I pass on my daily commute. Now if I could get Napa to give me a new one since this one is only a month old.

#9 ·
Very weird.

#10 ·
Bought a new icp sensor from Ford, problem solved. Installed it this morning, drove by the cell tower twice and no issues. Besides this being very weird that a cell tower was causing problems with the new napa icp sensor, I learned that a bad icp sensor could cause the engine to shut down due to no icp pressure even though the hpop is good and the system had good pressure, just the sensor telling the computer the pressure was zero shuts the engine down.

#11 ·
I have the same problem only a little more severe. When I get within 200 yards of the cell tower at the 99.5 mile marker on US 1 in Key Largo the truck shuts off. Unplugging the icp gets it to restart without issue. Unfortunately, I replaced it with a new sensor from the NAPA store that sits right next to the cell tower.

Wave when you pass me on 441 for I live on Sinclair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.