New powerstroke owner with question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question New powerstroke owner with question

Hello all. I have a 03 f350 7.3L. I have a 5inch turbo back mbrp exhaust, thinking about doin the DIY intake. Is it worth it or is there better intake? Once i get intake on it i wanna get a programmer of some sort. So with that being said, what programmer is best bang for ur buck and i was also wondering how much boost can a stock turbo handle when ur hard on the gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your exhaust is now breathing easily, doing the other side (filter) just makes sense. The DIY is a good, cheap, alternative. Just stay away from the foam/gauze & oil (like the K&N). My preference is the Ford AIS, more expensive, but it looks "right"...

As for the tuning, no one has that answer for you, just what they chose. It's like asking what the Best "oil, tire, battery, etc is"

Usually, the three steps are;
Breath better (filter & exhaust)
Gauges
Then programming...

I would advise against trying to short-cut the last two with one of those "All-In-One" apps that give you "fake" gauges (digital LCD) and "hokey" tunes. Do it right, get the real thing from the start.

In no particular order;
PHP
Tony Wildman
Beans
DPTuner (unless you have, or plan to have, HID headlights)

Boost isn't everything, with a free-flowing motor you'll see 20psi or so, tuning gets more, maybe 30psi or more (look in the Performance Forum for a topic about a new wheel that exceeds that)

Read, Read, Read, there's a lot of variables depending what you plan to do in the future and what you use your truck for!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a boost and pyrometer guage already in my truck. Yea exit is taken care of now i gotta take care.of the in lol. Like i said im new to powerstrokes as a owner and not exactly sure which direction to go. I know for sure the intake is next on my list. Then with tax return money a programmer. Hear alot in wi bout edge evelution and bully dog. Just thought.id test the waters on the programmer bit. I want one though that plugs into the obd2 port ( or whatever that port is under the dash). Thanks for all the input
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Real tuning is done at the PCM for the most part. Either reflashed or a piggy-backed board inside and a 6-position chip with tunes you choose. For a stock engine, and with what you have you're considered stock, can be had for as little as @$300 (PHP). This allows you to switch between them "on-the-fly" too.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Real tuning is done at the PCM for the most part. Either reflashed or a piggy-backed board inside and a 6-position chip with tunes you choose. For a stock engine, and with what you have you're considered stock, can be had for as little as @$300 (PHP). This allows you to switch between them "on-the-fly" too.

6-position chip with tunes you choose... my advice too!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Your all kinda guiding me now lol. I know for sure id wanna be able to switch tunes in the fly. I havent heard much in the way of a 6 position chip, is it hard to install? I dont wanna have to pay for someone or someplace to install a programmer if i dont have to. Looking to try to do it myself as much as u can.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM

What trans do you have, b/c from what I've heard, the Edge programming is not nice to the auto trannies in these trucks
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an auto tranny, i was unaware of that. What tuner will give best results without hurting amything on the truck
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwustrack View Post
I have an auto tranny, i was unaware of that. What tuner will give best results without hurting amything on the truck
If you are interested in tunes, we can help you out.

If you would like to go the programmer route, we have the Infinity. It is a programmer/monitor/code reader/tester/etc...

Here is a little ad I made for it so you can better understand it.

You can also check it out on our website by going HERE.

If you would like to go the chip route, we have a couple options.

The F5

Holds 16 tunes. Can switch tunes on the fly. Check it out HERE.

The F6

Holds 16 tunes. Can switch tunes on the fly. Can update/receive tunes by connecting to a computer. Check it out HERE.

Last edited by Justin@DP-Tuner; 12-13-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.