New powerstroke owner, programer ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question New powerstroke owner, programer ?

Hello all, like a said earlier im a newer powerstroke owner. I have a single rear wheel F350 with the 7.3L, and its stock besides lift and rims/tires. I was thinking of buying a programer for it and was wondering whats the best programer for the money and how hard is it to hook up and will it hurt the motor, i have 205,000 miles on the truck. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well if your looking to install a chip or programmer, you'll need an intake, exhaust and defiantly gauges first. To the original question... flash programmers plug into your OBD II port and chips plug into your ECM. Either are pretty easy to install. Any kind of electronic performance could do things to cause damage to the engine, gauges help keep an eye on some things but quality tunes are quite important. The right chip or programmer depend on what your looking to spend and what exactly your looking to do. I prefer chips cause there switch on the fly and you can always turn it down to stock. Most programmers only load one tune at a time and you have to pull over in order to switch tunes.

Last edited by Jrz13; 12-09-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 AM

Yeah, what he said... good advice there.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a boost guage and a pyrometer gauge already...forgot to mention i have a 5inch turbo back mbrp exhaust. Whts a good intake and programer.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Intake? most bang for your buck is the DIY intake/6637 filter... takes about 15 minutes to install, with nothing more than a trip to the local hardware store for a big hose clamp, and a 3" long peice of 4" OD exhaust pipe or other pipe with 4" OD will work... the filter is availible online or from the local napa or other parts store for $50 or less...

Chip? I like DP Tuner, I have them on both trucks, but there's other out there that are good too...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought my 99 f250 with 140,000 miles on it May 0f 2011 to pull a travel trailer. I bought this truck after having many many problems with a 6.0.
I visited two very reputable diesel repair shops in Houston and they both told me they run tuners on their 7.3's.
I DO agree you must be careful with these tuners.

BUT, I bought the SCT tuner and run the mild Tow Mode for daily driving. The increase in power and torque was amazing, keep in mind the rest of my truck is bone stock. I now have 183,000 miles and have had no issues. For the record I do not race or drive my truck real hard. The tuner really just made the truck much more driveable (it lacked any throttle response when it was stock) and gave her a much better response to throttle pressure. In my opinion I would buy the SCT tuner.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwustrack View Post
Hello all, like a said earlier im a newer powerstroke owner. I have a single rear wheel F350 with the 7.3L, and its stock besides lift and rims/tires. I was thinking of buying a programer for it and was wondering whats the best programer for the money and how hard is it to hook up and will it hurt the motor, i have 205,000 miles on the truck. Thanks

DP-tuner is popular as is Wildman. They are dealers, though.

If you want an OTC one- SuperChips, Edge, DiabloSport, SCT are all popular
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If you are looking for a programmer, we have the Infinity.

You can check it out here... INFINITY-DX Touch Screen 7.3L NOW AVAILABLE (Order today thru Dec. 31st, 2012 and get the introductory price of $549.00) - Featured Products

It will monitor data, read DTC's, hold tunes, and much much more.

If you want more information feel free to contact me.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got a TS Performance 6 position chip for sale $180. It's pretty sweet!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
If you are looking for a programmer, we have the Infinity.

You can check it out here... INFINITY-DX Touch Screen 7.3L NOW AVAILABLE (Order today thru Dec. 31st, 2012 and get the introductory price of $549.00) - Featured Products

It will monitor data, read DTC's, hold tunes, and much much more.

If you want more information feel free to contact me.
I have a stock TS performance 6 POS chip I'll sell you for a good deal!

But After attempting (failed and made truck run poor) a re-program with a popular programer on this forum, I am going to go with either the DP listed above or this..
Power Hungry Performance - Hydra Chip

I like the fact that the hydra chip is Made in the USA and I have heard good things about both DPtuner and PHP... now I just have to decide.
One thing that scared me about the INFINITY tuner touch screen is it is large unit and there is more to fail and go wrong with such an advanced controller. But it does a lot more then the Hydra chip!

Let us know what you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.