ABS Light on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS Light on

Hi all, I have a 2002 4X4 F350 Dually. a few months ago I had to replace the 4 ball joints on the front hubs ie 2 per side upper and lower. I didnt do the work I put the truck into a garage for the work to be done, I just didnt have the time to do the work myself. ( first mistake) When I got the truck back the ABS light was staying on, I guess due to the fact that the front hubs were removed off the truck. I have inspected the ABS wireing and see no damage. Is the fact the light is staying on due to the fact that the ABS sensor parted company so to speak on hub removal, and if so how do I turn the ABS light off. I have gone to various garages and noone seems to have the right scanners to reset the light, obviously due to the fact I live in the UK.
Is it possable to turn the light off by removing the batteries like a hard re boot? any help with this issue would be a great help as info this side of the pond is scarce and none existant. Also if a Scanner is needed for the job which one would you guys reccomend.
Many thanks.
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd try replacing the sensors. You should be able to find them at an autoparts store
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM

before replacing anything you need to get a scan and check for codes. auto enginuity is your best bet for a scanner short of going to a ford dealer.

SM
Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't just "throw parts" at it...

Unplug the front sensors (behind the "mudflap") and carefully Ohm the two pins that go to the hub. A good sensor (they are just a coil of wire wound around an iron core) will have, in the neighborhood, of 700 Ohms. Bad sensors will usually show either Open, or a much higher resistance (like 1200).
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure the plugs are pushed in all the way. When I put my new bearing assemblies in I had the same problem. After a lot of head ache I realized that one of the plugs wouldnt go all the way in because the o-ring from the old plug was stuck up in the female end. Dug that out with a pick and then the new one seated properly.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
LEARNING AS I GO

First off id take it back to the shop that did the work. If it wasnt on when you took it there it damn sure shouldnt be on when you picked it up.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM

^^^^^ what he said^^^^^
Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input from everyone, First off I have bought a scanner that will read all the codes including ABS codes. Hopefully that will at least narrow it down to which front wheel is showing the fault. In the mean time I have had a side issue off a very bad cold start, which has been narrowed down to a faulty glow plug relay, thats all ok now. But slowed down the progress with the ABS issue.

As regards taking the truck back to the shop that did the work, dosent really work here, there is a sort of un-written rule here about imported vehicles, they wont take any responsability for the code faults, thats just how it is here. Not good agreed but, it is that way. Diesel in smaller vehicles is seen as the fuel of satan...lol

Thanks again guys for all the input, will keep you posted, hopefully this week end I can get on the case and narrow down the options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.