ABS Light on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS Light on

Hi all, I have a 2002 4X4 F350 Dually. a few months ago I had to replace the 4 ball joints on the front hubs ie 2 per side upper and lower. I didnt do the work I put the truck into a garage for the work to be done, I just didnt have the time to do the work myself. ( first mistake) When I got the truck back the ABS light was staying on, I guess due to the fact that the front hubs were removed off the truck. I have inspected the ABS wireing and see no damage. Is the fact the light is staying on due to the fact that the ABS sensor parted company so to speak on hub removal, and if so how do I turn the ABS light off. I have gone to various garages and noone seems to have the right scanners to reset the light, obviously due to the fact I live in the UK.
Is it possable to turn the light off by removing the batteries like a hard re boot? any help with this issue would be a great help as info this side of the pond is scarce and none existant. Also if a Scanner is needed for the job which one would you guys reccomend.
Many thanks.
Steve
post #2 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd try replacing the sensors. You should be able to find them at an autoparts store

2001 F250, 7.3, Automatic, 4x4, 33's, Leveled, Cobra 29 CB Radio, Dual Firestick Whips, Pioneer Head Unit, Riffraff 6637 Intake Kit, 4" turbo-back straight pipe, Dual Alternator Upper Radiator Hose, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro, Trans Temp, Delta Toolbox, Gooseneck Hitch and a heavy right footed driver...

Wishlist: 160cc single shots, GT38r, BTS, SRP 1.1

REAL TRUCKS DON'T NEED SPARKPLUGS!!

Lord, please take care of this drivin' fool...
post #3 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM

before replacing anything you need to get a scan and check for codes. auto enginuity is your best bet for a scanner short of going to a ford dealer.

SM

like a boss 3 by bmonkey36, on Flickr

2000 Excursion Limited 4x4
heated and power everything
7.3 ltr auto
f250 "V" code front and "B" code rear springs
KYB shocks
billet grill
aftermarket headlights
beans chip with;
1: stock
2: high idle
3: economy
4: tow
5: exhaust brake
6: no start
Big Boost
Ford Powerstroke severe duty air intake AIS
WWII
post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't just "throw parts" at it...

Unplug the front sensors (behind the "mudflap") and carefully Ohm the two pins that go to the hub. A good sensor (they are just a coil of wire wound around an iron core) will have, in the neighborhood, of 700 Ohms. Bad sensors will usually show either Open, or a much higher resistance (like 1200).
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure the plugs are pushed in all the way. When I put my new bearing assemblies in I had the same problem. After a lot of head ache I realized that one of the plugs wouldnt go all the way in because the o-ring from the old plug was stuck up in the female end. Dug that out with a pick and then the new one seated properly.

2001 F350 SRW CC 4WD LB
ZF6 w/ Southbend, 220k, DIY Intake, WW,NonEBPV Pedestal, CCV Mod, Gauges (Boost, Pyro), 2in Leveling Kit, 4" Straight MBRP, AIH Delete, 2-12" Kicker Comp's, Pioneer Amps
2001 F350 DRW EC 2WD (Rolled Over)
2000 F550 CC 2WD
Automatic, Jasper 4R100 w/Derale Pan & 6.0 Cooler, DIY Intake, AIH Delete, 4" MBRP,
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
LEARNING AS I GO

First off id take it back to the shop that did the work. If it wasnt on when you took it there it damn sure shouldnt be on when you picked it up.

1999 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke zf 6-speed Planet colors Amber White Pearl
banks big head wastegate, edge ez module
snow performance, 4" stright pipe,6637 FILTER MOD southbend stage 2 clutch, 05' front end upgrade
8" procomp 37" M16 Swampers 18x9 xd monsters, MOOG everything BILSTEIN SHOCKS BILSTEIN DUAL STEERING STABILIZER COOLANT FILTRATION, 203 stat 08' mirrors
post #7 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM

^^^^^ what he said^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs505 View Post
Of course I'm handy under the hood, I currently own a cummins.

2010 F350 CCLB Cabelas Edition
No Limit cai, Mini Maxx, 5" turbo back Flo Pro, Sinister egr delete, Sinister coolant filter, Cat EC-1, PTP shift solenoid. 20x9 +18 XD Monsters
01' 7.3 CCLB, 6637,wicked wheel G2, HPX, PHP Hydra, MBRP 4" Turbo back, Bellowed uppipes, Stancor gpr, 6.0 cooler, Fpr, Glow shift exhaust, pyro, trans, 203*/billet housing/ Cat EC-1, '07headlights/05' grill, Oh8' gate.
78' F350 "dumpy" old school
post #8 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input from everyone, First off I have bought a scanner that will read all the codes including ABS codes. Hopefully that will at least narrow it down to which front wheel is showing the fault. In the mean time I have had a side issue off a very bad cold start, which has been narrowed down to a faulty glow plug relay, thats all ok now. But slowed down the progress with the ABS issue.

As regards taking the truck back to the shop that did the work, dosent really work here, there is a sort of un-written rule here about imported vehicles, they wont take any responsability for the code faults, thats just how it is here. Not good agreed but, it is that way. Diesel in smaller vehicles is seen as the fuel of satan...lol

Thanks again guys for all the input, will keep you posted, hopefully this week end I can get on the case and narrow down the options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode