So much a NOOB I can't even spell Diesel yet - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So much a NOOB I can't even spell Diesel yet

OK I am gasser guy that is making the switch. Just bought a 350 01 CC cab and chassis, (utility bed yet on order), 205K.

I have been doing some research on here about mods for fuel efficiency.
I keep reading about a mod forum. I am not asking for you guys to spoon feed me a list of mod. I am asking for a pointer where I can find the mod forum. These where old post so it may have been on the old forum. A link would be great.

My grand vision for this truck is in priority highest to lowest .
1.) Gauges (probably some touch screen version, I am a machine programmer so the looks could go along way with customers.)
2.) fuel efficiency (Air in, Air out, & Chip)
2.) exterior noise (hutch, RR, High pressure X-over) for the wife and kids
3.) interior noise ( sound deadening ) for the wife and kids
4.) security/ remote start
5.) creature comforts (nicer seats or at least a 60/40 so I can recline and sleep on a job site while I wait my turn., stereo)
6.) ???

Thanks for taking your time to at least read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKiper View Post
OK I am gasser guy that is making the switch. Just bought a 350 01 CC cab and chassis, (utility bed yet on order), 205K.

I have been doing some research on here about mods for fuel efficiency.
I keep reading about a mod forum. I am not asking for you guys to spoon feed me a list of mod. I am asking for a pointer where I can find the mod forum. These where old post so it may have been on the old forum. A link would be great.

My grand vision for this truck is in priority highest to lowest .
1.) Gauges (probably some touch screen version, I am a machine programmer so the looks could go along way with customers.)
2.) fuel efficiency (Air in, Air out, & Chip)
2.) exterior noise (hutch, RR, High pressure X-over) for the wife and kids
3.) interior noise ( sound deadening ) for the wife and kids
4.) security/ remote start
5.) creature comforts (nicer seats or at least a 60/40 so I can recline and sleep on a job site while I wait my turn., stereo)
6.) ???

Thanks for taking your time to at least read this.
for guages/programmer i recomend this:
SCT Livewire TS Performance Programmer 5015

you should do up pips, a DIY CAI, and just remove the CAT and not the muffler if your worried about noise.

here watch this:
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Welcome to the ORG Jeff. Sounds like you already know more than the average guy when it comes to diesels. I will give you my recommendations for aftermarket parts.

1) Monitoring - You can get the Edge Insight CTS (color touch screen) for all your monitoring needs, or... since you mentioned impressing customers, there's an app that you can get for your iPhone/Pad/Pod/whatever that plugs in via the OBD2 port - could be cheaper and more trendy, one thing's for sure - it'd definitely be different.

2) Fuel Efficiency - aFe Intake (filter depends on your driving conditions - dusty, clean, etc), MBRP turbo back exhaust, and Programming of your choice. I recommend either Tony Wildman, Bill @ PHP, or Jody @ DP Tuner.

3) Exterior Noise - no help from me here in that department. Exhaust and a Garret GT38R turbo maybe?

4) Interior Noise - Dynamat the cab

5) Security/Remote Start - Install a killswitch and call it a day. I've read too many problems with aftermarket security systems causing all sorts of electrical problems on the 7.3L. Not sure about the Remote Start on diesels, you want the glow plugs to warm up before turning it over, I'm sure you can figure out a way to make it work - but I don't know how to do it.

6) Creature Comforts - As far as seating goes, stick with factory options. There are several people that part out trucks here and on other Powerstroke friendly forums all the time (powerstrokearmy, thedieselstop, competitiondiesel, powerstroke nation, etc). As far as stereo goes... how loud do you want it? My suggestion is to swing by a local audio shop and get with those guys on what's good. Most people here on the ORG have a Pioneer P3200BT for their headunit - it's cheap, rich color display, touchscreen, and looks nice.

6) Exterior? Rims? Suspension? Performance? The sky's the limit with these trucks. You'll find lots of good info on here, and almost everyone is willing to lend a helping hand. Good luck with the new build!

Some things to prepare for, the water pump on the 7.3 has been known to go out around 150k miles. If it hasn't been replaced yet, go ahead and get ready for it. There's a nice alternative to the stocker, can't remember what it was - but they're not too expensive. Also, replace the stock thermostat with one from DieselSite (I think that's it) - it's a 203* thermostat and allows the truck to get to a better optimal operating temperature before opening. Last but not least is the CPS (camshaft positioning sensor) - keep a spare with you at all times. Watch a video on YouTube to show you how to change it (takes less than 10 minutes) - they seem to go out sporatically.

Other than that, always use Ford Motorcraft filters, change the oil ON TIME, fill it up with diesel (not gas), and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by Super Diesel; 12-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM

edge tuners are terrible for the 7.3L don't touch them, go for an SCT and you can still get DP tuner tunes.. turbo back exhaust is a great idea, up pipes are a must and do the DIY intake.. its like a 79 dollar work up, if you do turbo back exhaust you'll have it loud on the outside.. if you really want quite keep stock and delete the CAT. put rev-x fuel additive and rev-x oil additive in your truck.. does wonders over time.

some more info on fuel efficiency:
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys kick a$$. I was looking at a DIY CAI but I don't know if the dollars justification is there. If you loom at the cost of a NAPA filter or Donaldson round it tk $60 ea. replace it every 10k and between the 4&5 change and you are at the price of a reusable filter. I don't know I will be thinking about this.
I can see some cash being spent in the next year or so. I think I have found a factory exhaust. My buddy is looking at a full exhaust. So for a little elbow grease I can have a second a exhaust. This Cab and Chassis doesn't have a CAT just a muffler. I am planning on installing a Y pipe and the second pipe. Hopefully this will keep me EGT down.

I don't plan on this truck cranking out 700 ft lbs. It is going to have a utility bed so I am plan on long-term steady maybe not slow but definitely steady.
That remote start for a diesel is easy they just add a delay before start.
I use to be a stereo geek. So that part is easy. Was planning on doing Dynamat and getting ready for a stereo. I was one if those guys what people hated with loud bass and ear piercing highs. Now we have factory in all 4 of our vehicles. This truck will be my work truck I will be comfortable don't want to shack the house just want to hear nice quality music now.

I just ordered a RR and Hutch kit from Strictly Diesel. My tank has surface rust on it the fuel filter is clogged and there is no filter in the tank. At 1/4 tank I am out of fuel. No big deal that is what happens when you. Buy a truck with 200k+ on it.

Last edited by JeffKiper; 12-27-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i will have to dissagree with the SCT recommendation.... only way to go on a 7.3l is a custom burnt chip... that way you can shift on the fly depending on what you need and not have to plug in a programmer and wait for it to reflash your PCM...

dont forget to add a larger trans cooler if its automatic.

if you need any other help or prices feel free to ask

oh and welcome to the Org

-Raul
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKiper View Post
You guys kick a$$. I was looking at a DIY CAI but I don't know if the dollars justification is there. If you loom at the cost of a NAPA filter or Donaldson round it tk $60 ea. replace it every 10k and between the 4&5 change and you are at the price of a reusable filter. I don't know I will be thinking about this.
I can see some cash being spent in the next year or so. I think I have found a factory exhaust. My buddy is looking at a full exhaust. So for a little elbow grease I can have a second a exhaust. This Cab and Chassis doesn't have a CAT just a muffler. I am planning on installing a Y pipe and the second pipe. Hopefully this will keep me EGT down.

I don't plan on this truck cranking out 700 ft lbs. It is going to have a utility bed so I am plan on long-term steady maybe not slow but definitely steady.
That remote start for a diesel is easy they just add a delay before start.
I use to be a stereo geek. So that part is easy. Was planning on doing Dynamat and getting ready for a stereo. I was one if those guys what people hated with loud bass and ear piercing highs. Now we have factory in all 4 of our vehicles. This truck will be my work truck I will be comfortable don't want to shack the house just want to hear nice quality music now.

I just ordered a RR and Hutch kit from Strictly Diesel. My tanm has surface rust on it the fuel filter is clogged and there is no filter in the tank. At 1/4 tank I found mys lf calling for help because this truck shutdown from lack of fuel. No big deal that is what happens when you. Huy a teuck with 200k+ on it.
i would do a diy, if you use the right filter, i think its a 6637 or something like that, its better performance or the same performance as any of the expensive kits so why pay more for the same? up pipes wil get you better turbo spool as the exhaust will flow more freely to the turbo. if you have basic questions read the stickies and watch all the 7.3L videos by powerstrokehelp and you'll know alot about your truck.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Jeff, as stated above. check out ALL the vids on powerstrokehelp.com. i am new to the diesel but not auto service and this guy has some excellent vids. very clear and no BS. i have learned A LOT about the 7.3 i am looking at buying just from this guys vids.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM

from what I've heard, powerstroke help has some good info, but it's not the PSD gospel... take it with a few grains of salt... for instance, no need to change the HPOP oil like he advises, it's all the same oil, drains into the same oil pan.

Most of the people here are straight shooters, no BS... read, read read... ask questions... we will help you out.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To be 100% honest. I take everything and everybody with a few grains of salt.

I have been reading and reading. The more I read about an CAI the more I don't want the noise from a stage 2 system. There are a bunch of guys that like the loud trucks. I have never been one to like engine noise. I was one of the guys that liked low and slow. Some guys at school dragged, some had hoppers, some where lower riders. I was a stereo geek so I got to work on everybody's vehicles.
I know I should have bought a CR if I wanted quiet. I like the idea of 500k miles on a motor.

Thanks for you guidance guys. I should have my RR and filter kits Friday or Monday. If I can geta few hours I will be working on this over the weekend.

Someone before me on this truck took off the pickup tube in the fuel tank. So at 1/4 tank I am sucking air. This tank must have sat for a whike because it has small surface scaling on it. That scale is making its way to the fuel filter and bowl. So I get to pull thw bowl and clean it. Probably drop the tank and have it cleaned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.