Real Men of Genius
Join Date: Apr 2010
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Welcome to the ORG Jeff. Sounds like you already know more than the average guy when it comes to diesels. I will give you my recommendations for aftermarket parts.
1) Monitoring - You can get the Edge Insight CTS (color touch screen) for all your monitoring needs, or... since you mentioned impressing customers, there's an app that you can get for your iPhone/Pad/Pod/whatever that plugs in via the OBD2 port - could be cheaper and more trendy, one thing's for sure - it'd definitely be different.
2) Fuel Efficiency - aFe Intake (filter depends on your driving conditions - dusty, clean, etc), MBRP turbo back exhaust, and Programming of your choice. I recommend either Tony Wildman, Bill @ PHP, or Jody @ DP Tuner.
3) Exterior Noise - no help from me here in that department. Exhaust and a Garret GT38R turbo maybe?
4) Interior Noise - Dynamat the cab
5) Security/Remote Start - Install a killswitch and call it a day. I've read too many problems with aftermarket security systems causing all sorts of electrical problems on the 7.3L. Not sure about the Remote Start on diesels, you want the glow plugs to warm up before turning it over, I'm sure you can figure out a way to make it work - but I don't know how to do it.
6) Creature Comforts - As far as seating goes, stick with factory options. There are several people that part out trucks here and on other Powerstroke friendly forums all the time (powerstrokearmy, thedieselstop, competitiondiesel, powerstroke nation, etc). As far as stereo goes... how loud do you want it? My suggestion is to swing by a local audio shop and get with those guys on what's good. Most people here on the ORG have a Pioneer P3200BT for their headunit - it's cheap, rich color display, touchscreen, and looks nice.
6) Exterior? Rims? Suspension? Performance? The sky's the limit with these trucks. You'll find lots of good info on here, and almost everyone is willing to lend a helping hand. Good luck with the new build!
Some things to prepare for, the water pump on the 7.3 has been known to go out around 150k miles. If it hasn't been replaced yet, go ahead and get ready for it. There's a nice alternative to the stocker, can't remember what it was - but they're not too expensive. Also, replace the stock thermostat with one from DieselSite (I think that's it) - it's a 203* thermostat and allows the truck to get to a better optimal operating temperature before opening. Last but not least is the CPS (camshaft positioning sensor) - keep a spare with you at all times. Watch a video on YouTube to show you how to change it (takes less than 10 minutes) - they seem to go out sporatically.
Other than that, always use Ford Motorcraft filters, change the oil ON TIME, fill it up with diesel (not gas), and enjoy the ride!
Chris | 2005 F-250 RCSB | "Ranger - Turbo Diesel V8"
CED Compounds - Conventionals - Supporting Mods
Last edited by Super Diesel; 12-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.