Puzzled... many small, sudden problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 12:22 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Puzzled... many small, sudden problems

Short Story - >
Keyless entry no longer works, got slightly wet in my pocket from torrential downpour. I was soaked pretty good.
Same downpour evaded my RTV Sealed holes in my roof from my SunVisor that I had to remove because of an annoying squeak.
I believe this caused the Radio to only work when in P and N and not play sound but still move the cd along in all the other gears.
I also believe this caused the O/D light to start flashing at the same time.
I also believe this was the culprit for when I remove the key, it's like it is still on the "accessory turn" - air/radio still on.
I d/c the batteries so this wouldn't run them down.

Long story - >
Read what's in bold

I had a squeaky visor and I was determined last week to get it off. I had tried many times before only to be snubbed because of the design flaws with the mounting peices. So, I finally did everything imaginable and 3 hours later it was off. I was proud of myself and happy that I finally got it off. I then filled the holes (temporarily) with RTV sealant (easy to pull off but makes a hell of a blockage for liquid). Well, I did all the holes but apparently I missed something? Today it was a monsoon, I drove about 50 miles to my sister's wedding going away thingy and it was pouring. Get wet eating crabs but hey who cares. My keys were in my pocket and got slightly wet. So was my cell phone, which got slightly wet. I took them out, and laid them on the table to stay dry. I went and played ultimate frisby and football out in the pouring rain with the fella's and had a great time. Come time to leave I'm barefoot and I notice some water dripping on my foot on my way home. I check around and notice there is a wet spot at the top of the A-pillar on the driver side and it was slowly leaking down from there unseen onto my foot. Coming off of the hood release and parking brake release. I figured I'll have to check my holes in the roof and I did miss a small sliver and that was where the water was getting it. Well it stopped raining and I put it of. I drive to my friends house and while enroute it starts pouring again. My O/D light on the gear shifter starts blinking. I don't notice it, but my stereo also isn't playing but all the lights interior and exterior are fine. About 4 hours later I get in my truck to go home, the floor is beepbeepbeepbeep and the truck smells a lil funky you know. Well, besides the Key fob not working (i guess it got wet) everything is normal because the O/D light stopped flashing and then I go to turn on the radio and it won't play. I get to the last light and put it in neutral b/c I was going to restart and it plays. It plays when I'm in park, and N but not in any other gear. My REAL problem came when I get home, I turn the truck off and the music still plays b/c it's in park. I open the door and the "key in ignition" ringer is on. I can't leave it like that because it will kill the ba's. I do everything I can think of and even take apart part of the dash to see what is getting wet. The PCM is dry, and it's just drips on a few wires but nothing that looks bad. Well its 3AM and I need to sleep so I just unhook the ba's and everything is dead and good. So now I'm turning to TDS for some help! RTV the last sliver and let it dry? The fuse box is also fine and dry. Oh yeh, the cell phone keeps turning off on me? Also when I got home and took a leak, the toilet wouldn't flush and then the power went out shortly after I got to the going away party's house. I think I've damaged everything I've touched today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You have one of two things goin on......

I have not seen it on the superduties, but the radio problem you are having was common on the taurus...it was caused by water intruesion on the transmission range sensor that is mounted on the drivers side of the tranny,...its the odd shaped black thing that the shift cable is hooked up by.... this caused a short on a wire and made the Gem module do wierd things with the radio....

BUT...the TR sensor might be alright and you could also have water intrusion into the gem module, which is mounted to the back of the interior fuse panel........i have seen leaking winshields cause similar strange things. I would pull the that all apart and check for any signs of water intrusion into the fuse panel or gem module. if there is intrusion, try leaving them out to dry and then re installing them.....they might be ok....but if not, you will at least probably need a gem module and there is also the possibility you could need a fuse panel......
Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 AM
International Threat

I'll have to go look up "gem module" and go from there. Do you think this caused ALL of these problems?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain
I'll have to go look up "gem module" and go from there. Do you think this caused ALL of these problems?
Yes, the gem module controlls almost all not powertrain stuff. its controlls the power windows, radio, and a bunch of other stuff. Also, the transmission range sensor is an imput into the gem for a few things, so it is VERY possible that this is the problem. a shorted gem will cause some very strange things...
Old 07-23-2006, 09:50 AM
International Threat

LOL i'm going to try and let it dry out, cover the last hole and hopefully things get back to normal. Will try not to drive it or use it today. So far, it's sat for almost 12 hours with the ba's d/c. Ahhhh the rigors of learning

At least I know where to look/start. I pulled the fuse panel cover and used a flashlight at 3am, and when I could see the water and couldn't get the electronics off I pulled the cables !

Last edited by Marty; 07-23-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:51 AM
International Threat

Oh yeh, once again Marc comes to my rescue! lol
Old 07-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

did you check it out, was there water up there??
Old 07-23-2006, 10:06 AM
International Threat

yeh... that was the first place I looked. I couldn't see anything from the top and there was about 1 inch section that was "moist" in the headliner so it was not a very large amount. I'm just getting better and better at trouble shooting and it's because of this site. I remembered someone having their o/d light blinking at them in a topic a while back and I read it... and that was the problem now that I think about it. The Gem Module had gone wacko!

It's 1pm and I'm still in bed. I work 2nd shift and I took today off (3 day weekend) so I normally get up at like 10, so I'm just relaxing.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 AM
International Threat

Well I go out and it still has the problems. I start taking bolts out and stuff to get to the back of the fuse box, get it free but can't get it out b/c of the PCM I believe is in the way and then I start taking it out and snap a few pictures because I don't think it's supposed to be how I found it. Can't find "Gem module" in the Haynes Repair Manual either so I'm back to searching for tips on how to remove it or whatever so.... I feel like I'm back at square 2
Old 07-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain
Well I go out and it still has the problems. I start taking bolts out and stuff to get to the back of the fuse box, get it free but can't get it out b/c of the PCM I believe is in the way and then I start taking it out and snap a few pictures because I don't think it's supposed to be how I found it. Can't find "Gem module" in the Haynes Repair Manual either so I'm back to searching for tips on how to remove it or whatever so.... I feel like I'm back at square 2
before you disasselble too much more, let it try to dry out, ive seen them be fine after they dry out....but see if you can drive something else to work today so you dont let electrical power back to anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.