Looking around for a 7.3 / 6.0.. found this... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking around for a 7.3 / 6.0.. found this...

***2003 Ford F-250 7.3L Fx4 Lariat OBO***

What do you guys think of this?

Pros?

Cons?

Go for it/Stay away?

Questions I should be asking about the truck?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by shanek69; 11-30-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nice Truck

The truck looks awesome. But... I would never be able to buy one of these trucks without driving it first and checking under the hood. If it was me, I would look for something closer so that I could inspect it thoroughly.

If you feel like taking the risk... then be sure to ask about leaks under the truck and in the valley. Truck has some great mods and the driver probably knows what they are doing. Truck is probably mechanically sound, but it never hurts to ask. This truck should also have gauges. Maybe ask about those. I didn't see any interior pictures. With all those mods you would want the additional gauges for egts, trans temp, boost, fuel pressure?, etc. TS Chips are great and fun. I would ask about the Aftermarket Hpop. Find out which one it is. The Exhaust is a nice upgrade. The price isn't terrible, you might be able to get it for around 14.5K. Sellers always price high. That "OBO" says, "I'm negotiable". I would also find out how many miles the truck has on it. I know the engine is 15k but you're buying the rest of the truck as well. At around 180k - 200k you have to start seriously considering the condition of O-rings and Gaskets, Electrical Systems, Starter, Alternator, Fuel Injectors, yadda yadda. But this truck may not even be close to this mark. Also ask about the Transmission. Lol that should be plenty to get you started. Again, truck looks great. I personally love the CC / LB config and all black... . Good luck. Let us know how everything works out.

Last edited by bly8397; 11-30-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

well if he had a K&N on the last engine, could explain why its been replaced.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispaine View Post
well if he had a K&N on the last engine, could explain why its been replaced.
Yep, Amen to that! Especially with the chip you need a better intake. AIS, 6637, etc.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Roger that, I received pictures... no gauges or monitoring system. 208k on the chassis. Typical lariat inside, leather could use a tiny bit of work but no big deal. The seller said the tranny is still running strong. The seller also mentioned the truck has never been used for hauling.

My best friend of 20+ years lives about 45 minutes away but is clueless when it comes to diesel, not that i personally know to much more. If I asked him to have a look at it, we would obviously want him to take it for a drive and feel her out. Check for leaks throughout the drive train, and what else would/should I ask him to look for and ask about?

I am hoping to be back from this deployment around Christmas time so this would not be a bad Christmas gift to myself at all! I am from the Tulsa, OK area so the truck really isn't that far away, and I wouldn't mind driving it from Oklahoma to VA as long as I am sure it will make it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Out of circuitous, with the TS 6 pos. chip, would it be beneficial to also run something like an Edge CTS? or what monitoring system would you guys suggest for egts, trans temp, boost, fuel pressure, ect?

Edit:
I know there are mixed feelings about Glowshift gauges but that seems to be the most affordable way to go for me right now if I was to commit to this truck.

Last edited by shanek69; 11-30-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

needs an alignment drivers side tire ****ed out while the pass side is straight, could need steering components, just something to look at
Old 11-30-2012, 08:54 PM

Was told this by the seller... "The HPOP is by adrenalin, the average MPG is 16, the engine was replaced because the previous owner tried working on it himself and did not know what he was doing, intake is stock with an after market airfilter (K&N) no leaks."

I have a friend going to look at the truck soon.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If that truck doesn't work out for you pm me I have mine for sale too
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pesonally would never buy a previously lifted, chiped or modified vehicle of any kind. Im a Jeep and Superduty guy. I buy my vehicles stock an modify them to my needs. You never know how they were treated prior and can only imagine if they are already modified. Not saying that people dont take care of their vehicles. I just like know the in's and out's of whats been done. There's a reason that motor is new. Just imagine what may be next: tranny, rear axel, u joints, drive shaft? There's another $5000 waiting to be repaired. Heres a similar truck (not mine just one I found on CL) now you have 10 grand to do your own mods 2001 Ford Superduty 7.3 Diesel

Just my .02 cents

Ryan's

Last edited by Ryan1; 11-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.