Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2wd to 4x4 conversion

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  powerstrokearmy 
#1 ·
Will everything from a 2001 4x4 bolt on to a 2000 2wd frame? Both ecsb F250's. any welding to be done?

#2 ·
if i remember correctly the frames are the exact same and everything bolts up.

#4 ·
Transfer case won't just bolt up. Manual trans requires a new tail housing. Not sure about the autos.

#6 ·
if they are both auto you need the transfer case and front and rear drivelines.

#8 ·
im not sure ill look tomorrow when i go to class lol

#10 ·
I just got done with a 4x4 conversion. You can't just bolt the t case to the 2wd trans. However you can swap the shaft out of the 4wd trans(it will probably bolt on fine but the shaft isn't long enough to reach the internals in the t case) and the tail housing then the t case will bolt on. In my case I swapped the whole trans cuz the 4wd one I had was rebuilt. Be sure to swap the crossmember out to. The t case will hit the floor board and vibrate like crazy.

I'd be glad to help with any questions you have. Feel free to pm and ill help the best I can.

#14 ·
No I haven't started on it yet. I'm waiting to find some factory 20s at a good deal. I'm sure whenever I so start the conversion im gonna have a lot of questions. Think I can do it pretty easily. Just the trans/trans case I haven't figured out yet

#15 ·
If you have a good 2wd trans you can take it to a trans shop (if your not comfortable doing it yourself) and have the shaft swapped to the 4wd shaft then the tcase bolts right up. The 4wd crossmember is VERY important. I learned the hard way lol everything else is a cake walk. All the factory holes line up for everything. And you have to cut the hulk rivots out of the 2wd shock bracket and undo the brake lines there and throw that piece away. And get the 4wd brake line and shock bracket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.