Common 7.3 Sluggish Causing Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Common 7.3 Sluggish Causing Issues

Figured this would get more input here.

Found a great 01 4x4 7.3 Excursion that I am 24 hours from giving him a down payment.

190k. No chip, has exhaust, has 35s, a diamond in the rough.

Has all injectors replaced and lots of maintenance records. I even got to talk to the mechanic responsible for working on it for the past 4 years.


However it definitely feels sluggish at low speed. It feels as if there is a large trailer behind it at low speed to be honest.

I was thinking boost leak?

School me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 232
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you might try asking the mechanic that has been working on it for the past 4 years. I will be interested to find out what the issue really is, just for future reference of course. you also might check to see if the brakes are releasing properly.

SM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 AM
Behavior Modificationist

 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 1,242
Thanks: 13
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No tune on 35s will be a slug. I should know Especially when normally in a 6.0? The 7.3 is a lumbering dinosaur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Monster View Post
you might try asking the mechanic that has been working on it for the past 4 years. I will be interested to find out what the issue really is, just for future reference of course. you also might check to see if the brakes are releasing properly.

SM
Brakes felt like they grabbed hard and let off nicely.

I did mention to the mechanic and I am actually going to have him rebuild the front hubs since they are extremely tight to turn and figure out the boost leak or whatever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post
No tune on 35s will be a slug. I should know Especially when normally in a 6.0? The 7.3 is a lumbering dinosaur.
That 6.0 has been blown up for 2 years... Really need to change my sig lol.

This truck does have a 4 inch exhaust, unsure of brand but looks like MBRP. No intake and no tuner.

So its gonna be a pig on 35s? Probably need to go back to 33s for towing then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Behavior Modificationist

 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 1,242
Thanks: 13
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im probably the only one running around on no tune, but yes it is a pig and the 35s dont help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 232
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitanicle99 View Post
Brakes felt like they grabbed hard and let off nicely.

I did mention to the mechanic and I am actually going to have him rebuild the front hubs since they are extremely tight to turn.
tight to turn, as in steering? my ex had an improperly installed camber sleeve that caused binding in the ball joints and made for a laborious ride down the freeway. if that is the case for you, the fix is easy. knock the knuckle loose and tap the camber sleeve up then retorque the ball joints following the workshop manuals procedure. torque the bottom to 44 ft lbs then the upper to 69 plus whatever is necessary to get the cotter pin in, then the lower to 150 ft lbs

SM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Monster View Post
tight to turn, as in steering? my ex had an improperly installed camber sleeve that caused binding in the ball joints and made for a laborious ride down the freeway. if that is the case for you, the fix is easy. knock the knuckle loose and tap the camber sleeve up then retorque the ball joints following the workshop manuals procedure. torque the bottom to 44 ft lbs then the upper to 69 plus whatever is necessary to get the cotter pin in, then the lower to 150 ft lbs

SM
No the manual hubs were extremely hard to turn. I could not turn them with my hands and I've got pretty big *** hands from construction and mechanical stuff. However I read that they cannot be rebuilt only replaced or disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 232
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does it still have the automatic (vacuum) hubs? or has someone swapped them out for manual hubs like mine? the auto hubs are notorious for not working when you need them.

SM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Monster View Post
does it still have the automatic (vacuum) hubs? or has someone swapped them out for manual hubs like mine? the auto hubs are notorious for not working when you need them.

SM
Not that I am aware of. They looked identical to my 6.0 ones and owner had no knowledge of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 184
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
they are not hard to tear apart and clean up.ive done them on my 99 with auto hubs.you couldnt even turn them.half hour a piece and they turned like new.my 01 i have now are manual and i tore these apart and cleaned them so they would work like new again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors