The 550 had a good couple days
Over the last couple weeks I have been hunting the reason for my seemingly weak and not so fuel efficient f550.. During this time I found a plug disconnected (broken actually) under the hood. After some discussion it was suggested (and later confirmed) that it was the EBPV plug. During the hunt for this connection I also read page after page of EBPV issues and in a lot of them it was also suggested that the turbo boots be checked. I decided once I determined that the EBPV was in the open position to tighten all of these clamps with VERY good results. The engine seems to be much more powerful and smoother running, not sure exactly which one was leaking but apparently there was a good sized leak somewhere. The truck will now hold 65 mph on the interstate without being floored to do so. If I am pulling a grade at 60 I can now push the pedal and feel (and hear) the turbo spool up and begin accelerating. I believe this will also help fuel mileage quite a bit..
I also have never had a parking brake on this truck from day one, PO said it was that way when he got it and was told that the pads were worn down when it was only a few months old by a non-driver running the roads with them on. I had to change an inside tire valve stem so once I got the back wheels off and the tire fixed I began looking at the brakes. There are no adjustments anywhere in the system, BUT while chasing the cable forward to make sure of that--- I found the problem. The cam that is connected to the foot pedal for the cable to ride on had separated and allowed the cable to fall between the halves, no longer producing the needed motion to set the brakes. It took a LONG while to get the pedal assy. out of the cab. I had to cut the cable in order to do so. So after a 26$ cable, a couple hours R&R, and about 10 mins work with the MIG--- I HAVE A PARKING BRAKE!!! I think I will have to put some miles on the old girl this week just to celebrate.
Just thought I would share.