The 550 had a good couple days - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The 550 had a good couple days

Over the last couple weeks I have been hunting the reason for my seemingly weak and not so fuel efficient f550.. During this time I found a plug disconnected (broken actually) under the hood. After some discussion it was suggested (and later confirmed) that it was the EBPV plug. During the hunt for this connection I also read page after page of EBPV issues and in a lot of them it was also suggested that the turbo boots be checked. I decided once I determined that the EBPV was in the open position to tighten all of these clamps with VERY good results. The engine seems to be much more powerful and smoother running, not sure exactly which one was leaking but apparently there was a good sized leak somewhere. The truck will now hold 65 mph on the interstate without being floored to do so. If I am pulling a grade at 60 I can now push the pedal and feel (and hear) the turbo spool up and begin accelerating. I believe this will also help fuel mileage quite a bit..

I also have never had a parking brake on this truck from day one, PO said it was that way when he got it and was told that the pads were worn down when it was only a few months old by a non-driver running the roads with them on. I had to change an inside tire valve stem so once I got the back wheels off and the tire fixed I began looking at the brakes. There are no adjustments anywhere in the system, BUT while chasing the cable forward to make sure of that--- I found the problem. The cam that is connected to the foot pedal for the cable to ride on had separated and allowed the cable to fall between the halves, no longer producing the needed motion to set the brakes. It took a LONG while to get the pedal assy. out of the cab. I had to cut the cable in order to do so. So after a 26$ cable, a couple hours R&R, and about 10 mins work with the MIG--- I HAVE A PARKING BRAKE!!! I think I will have to put some miles on the old girl this week just to celebrate.

Just thought I would share.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Congrats The DOT man frowns upon a non-working parking brake.

Also there is an adjustment for them. Theres a little slot on the bottom of the brake backing plate. In there, there is a little gear that you turn with a brake spoon or screw driver and that will adjust the brakes. Works the same as a trailer brake or old drum brakes. They are not self adjusting so you have to actually get out and do it every so often when the brake doesnt hold tight.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
Congrats The DOT man frowns upon a non-working parking brake.

Also there is an adjustment for them. Theres a little slot on the bottom of the brake backing plate. In there, there is a little gear that you turn with a brake spoon or screw driver and that will adjust the brakes. Works the same as a trailer brake or old drum brakes. They are not self adjusting so you have to actually get out and do it every so often when the brake doesnt hold tight.
Well thats the darndest thing. I looked for a star wheel behind the plug but there was not one. Maybe I missed it but it sure just looked like a link. Either way it worked out well as it only takes a little over half a pedal to set far enough to stall.. On a side note, its a farm truck which in Alabama kinda exempts me from the DOT man. I will be hauling some logs from my spot to my grandfathers in Atlanta so as soon as I cross the state line our rules go out the window so its good to have done!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.