Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Seal replacement

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  thegrouse 
#1 ·
Anyone have a write up on how to replace the rear end seal where the driveshaft is attached? I have a small leak when I park downhill.
Thanks

#2 ·
From 03 Manual:

Special Tool(s)
2-Jaw Puller 205-D026 (D80L-1002-L)or equivalent
Installer, Drive Pinion Flange 205-233 (T85T-4851-AH)
Holding Fixture, Drive Pinion Flange 205-012 (T57T-4851-B)
Installer, Drive Pinion Oil Seal 205-208 (T83T-4676-A)

Removal
NOTE: The rear wheels and brake calipers must be removed to prevent brake drag during drive pinion bearing preload adjustment.
Remove the rear brake calipers. For additional information, refer to Section 206-04 .
Remove the driveshaft. For additional information, refer to Section 205-01 .
Install a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench on the pinion nut, and record the rotational torque required to maintain rotation of the pinion through several revolutions.
CAUTION: After removal of the pinion nut, discard it. A new nut must be used for installation.
Use the Flange Holder to hold the pinion flange while removing the pinion nut.
Mark the pinion flange in relation to the drive pinion stem to ensure proper alignment during installation.
Use the 2-Jaw Puller to remove the pinion flange.
Force up on the metal flange of the rear axle drive pinion seal. Install gripping pliers to the seal flange and strike with a hammer until the rear axle drive pinion seal is removed.
Installation
Lubricate the new pinion seal.
Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B.
CAUTION: If the rear axle drive pinion seal becomes misaligned during installation, remove the rear axle drive pinion seal and replace it with a new seal.
Use the Pinion Seal Replacer to install the rear axle drive pinion seal.
Lubricate the pinion flange splines.
Use SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant F1TZ-19580-B or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSL-M2C192-A.
NOTE: Disregard the scribe marks if a new pinion flange is being installed.
Align the pinion flange with the drive pinion shaft.
With the pinion flange in place in the rear axle housing, install the pinion flange using the Companion Flange Replacer.
Position the new pinion nut.
CAUTION: Under no circumstances is the pinion nut to be backed off to reduce preload. If reduced preload is required, a new collapsible spacer and pinion nut must be installed.

Use the Flange Holder to hold the pinion flange while tightening the pinion nut.
Tighten the pinion nut, rotating the pinion occasionally to make sure the cone and roller bearings are seating properly. Take frequent cone and roller bearing torque preload readings until the original recorded preload reading is obtained by rotating the pinion with a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench.
If the original recorded preload is lower than specifications, tighten to the appropriate specification for used bearings. If the preload is higher than specification, tighten the nut to the original reading as recorded. Refer to Torque Specifications in this section.
Install the driveshaft. For additional information, refer to Section 205-01 .
Install the brake calipers. For additional information, refer to Section 206-04 .

#4 ·
No problem! Enjoy. Mine leaks a tad... not enough to go after it yet.

#5 ·
I did mine about 6 weeks ago. I marked the drive line position before I removed it at the U-joint. I then measured with a caliper the distance the yoke was pressed on the pinion gear. I then counted threads. I used a stout puller to pull the yoke. I popped the seal and installed a new one. I tightened the yoke to the same depth and thread count. This was the toughest part. I used a half inch breaker bar with a cheater pipe under the truck to seat the yoke. I did use lock tite on the nut. It did not take too long to do. The local shop wanted 130$ in labor plus parts to do the job. Top it off with the recommended synthetic and you are good to go. Should be a 30$ repair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.