fuel leak from motor... need help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel leak from motor... need help!!

so the other day i noticed a fairly large wet spot in my driveway where my truck had been ideling. i smelled it and its diesel fuel. i noticed it only leaks when its been sitting for a while (over night). tonight i started it in my garage and waited for it so start dripping. it started dripping after about 5 mins. its coming from a copper line on the passenger side of the motor just above the ground strap on the block. it looks like maybe its some type of drain/over flow, IDK.

what do i do to stop it from dripping
Attached Thumbnails
fuel leak from motor... need help!!-diesel.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looks like the fuel bowl drain line. It's the line that connects to the fuel filter housing to allow you to drain water and/or fuel from the fuel bowl (where your fuel filter resides). The gaskets and sleeves deteriorate over time and need to be replaced. I bought a fuel bowl rebuild kit on-line at dieselorings.com and just did it myself this weekend. Mine was hemorrhaging everywhere and now it's dry as a bone. Here's a link to the kit and they have great step by step directions with pictures. Cost me $25 instead of $450 for a new fuel bowl from the dealer.

#7-003 Fuel Bowl Reseal Kit 1999-2003 - Fuel Bowl Parts and O-rings - 1999-2003 Ford 7.3L

There are also plenty of other posts here talking about the fuel bowl leaks
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Just check it like 6 more times. Diesel and oil can follow different routes and make you think its one thing but its another.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Just check it like 6 more times. Diesel and oil can follow different routes and make you think its one thing but its another.

its definately coming out of the copper tube, i watched it drip from it.

i ordered a new O-ring kit. while i have the fuel bowl off is there anything else i should do while im in there?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM

I just went through the same thing. Bob, at DieselORings.com suggested that I also replace the fuel line seal at the end of the passenger side cyl head. It's a bugger to get to but when I did mine it was definitely in need of replacement. He also suggested adding some rubber around the fuel line clamp that's located about midway on the head, right under the GPR. He said the fuel line rubs on that clamp and wouldn't ya know it, he was right.

Last edited by MKeeney; 11-21-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
More than likely water drain valve on ff housing. Orings are $20ish or $60 for a new drain at oriellys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.