e series to f series motor swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e series to f series motor swap

i have read through several threads on this site and others and wanted to put things together on putting an e series into an f series. none of the posts ever get completed or get questions answered....turbos,pedestals and other details. the e series motor has a new turbo on it and i wanted to use that. point me in the right direction here before i put this motor in and have to change a bumch of parts....thanks for any help here guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

i could be wrong but the only real difference in the two is the wastegate, e series doesn't have one f series does, if you have a new turbo i would use that one and keep the other as a standby, turbos are expensive.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are some other diffrences also, trucks have intercoolers, vans do not, so the plumbing would be diffrent, due to the lack of an intercooler, the injectors are smaller, limiting fuel, and power as well... the block is the same, so thoes parts would swap over...
Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

are the injectors an issue if i am looking for just stock performance? will a programmer help out. this motor has low mileage and i am hoping not to tear it apart.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM

I think they are the same as the OBS trucks... which also came without intercoolers. Others are gonna have to chime in tho, I don't have any personal experiance with thoes injectors and how they might react in this situation... I do know that my work van, loaded to about 12k lbs is a slug compaired to my dually F-350, even when it was stock, and had a load in the bed to make the weight compairable.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i guess i will pull the valve covers and see what injectors are in it. i see on some injector sites that they list the same injectors for e-vans and f trucks.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 AM

Injectors are the same to the corresponding year truck.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so here is what i have found so far. Injectors have the same part number stamped on them so i assume they are the same. Obviously the front brackets are different which was expected. The motor mounts oil cooler manifolds turbo and pedistal are different. I am going to try and use the van turbo and pedistal since they are new. The van motor is rated at 215 hp on the valve cover so i am assuming the motor will be close to the f series rating when it is in the truck and running with the f series pcm and idm. The oil pans look like they are the same. I am re-sealing all the problem areas and hopefully getting this back in the truck soon.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh ya. I did read the cam was a little different so that may affect the hp.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok i have the motor in and running. looks like everything is ok except for one thing i can see so far. the motor cranked for a long time to start for the first 8-10 times starting. this happens even if you start it and re start within a minute. Today i let t run for about an hour and seems to start quicker. Could i still have air in high pressure oil system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.