Unhappy with new exhaust. Any suggestions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy with new exhaust. Any suggestions?

Just threw a brand new MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust on my '01 crew cab short bed.

It doesn't fit very well at all! The down pipe contacts the firewall, it barely fits into the factory hangers (the hangers don't even hang now, they're more like jammed to the side) and it contacts leaf springs and shock absorber in the back. Due to all this I get a very annoying vibration in the truck while driving, especially in right hand turns for some reason. I tried for quite a while to get it on there properly, but that's as good as I could get it.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Contact the distributor you purchased the system from and go from there...
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I too was disappointed in the fit of my MBRP system...

My DP is OK but the hanger rods were clearly in the wrong place (I actually had to unbolt the factory mount and "flip" it over to unbind the situation) and the back "T" hanger is jammed over to one side

I otherwise like the product, but either their fixture need realignment or was just Never right in the first place!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm looking at getting a 4" MBRP for my truck. Interested in hearing more experiences.
Subscribing!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM

I have installed a lot of exhaust systems on a lot of different trucks. They are all a little finicky, its either mess with it til it fits perfect or get it satisfactory and deal with it. Dont really matter the manufacturer of the kit either. The way i do them is install the down pipe, then install from tail to down pipe. Dont ask me why it works but it does. My diamond eye took 5-6 random adjustments after the install to get it right. Drive it a few days and let everything "settle" then figure out what rubs, adjust and repeat. I have only had one ever fit the way it should of and it was an mbrp on a dodge. So pretty much a down pipe with 11 miles of clearance and then a straight piece of pipe to the axle and a bend at the end that can only fit one way. One thing to make sure though is that the pipe is joining straight with the other pieces when stickin em together use a board or something all the way around the joints to make sure they are straight

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 PM

The issue I had with my MBRP exhaust was that you ave to cut the on section on a CCSB. If that piece isn't just right, it didnt fit right.

To the OP, I'd suggest taking that one section out, making everything else fits correctly and is twisted so the hangers are hanging right. then make sure that one section is the proper length before putting it back in.

Mine took some tweaking.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM

I had to cut about a foot out of my MBRP to get it to fit my ECLB. The only problem I have is that I can't get it to stop rubbing against the shock absorber. It's been that way for years, and I just don't seem to care anymore.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Fitment was absolute garbage for me. I ended up making a couple of my own hangers and brackets.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Find someone with a cut off wheel and a welder.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99' Powerstroke View Post
I had to cut about a foot out of my MBRP to get it to fit my ECLB. The only problem I have is that I can't get it to stop rubbing against the shock absorber. It's been that way for years, and I just don't seem to care anymore.
I actually had the same rub on the shock. Fixed it the same day I installed it by adding one of those rubber exhaust hangers with the metal tip to go under the clamp. Undid the back clamp where the the clamp is closest to the shock, and used the bracket (that the best I can figure it is the keep the spare away from the factory exhuast) to pull it a little toward the spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.