Potential 1st powerstroke. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Potential 1st powerstroke.

I am in the process of purchasing a new truck for towing everything from a tree style kayak trailer to a full size snow mobile trailer. After a fair amount of research, I have settled on a 99-2003 powerstroke. At this point in time I have sourced a 2002 F350 (126k) crew cab for 12,000. as well as a 2002 F250 Ext cab (105k) for 9,500.

It's worth noting that I will be traveling all over the northeast for work in this rig.

A couple of questions:

Do I really need a F350? I like the idea of having the extra room, but maybe there is a compromise as far as fuel economy?

Aside from the oil pan and general mechanics. Is there anything else I should pay attention to when checking these things out?

The F350 is well maintained but stock.

The F250 has the following:

Banks Stinger 2, Banks trans command, K&N cold air intake, Banks 4" exhaust. Recent brake job all around, rotors, pads, calipers. Recent front end job, upper and lower balljoints, tie rods, U-joints, inner and outer axle seals, auto hubs. Also full front and rear air bag 4" suspension lift from Air Bag It.

Any advice is welcome.

- Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Hey Joe, welcome to the forum! In a short response, the 7.3 is more than capable in handling your scenarios. There is really no difference between a 250/350 except suspension (the 350 rear being beefier). Both trucks noted seem fairly priced for what they are but beware the K&N on the 250 as they have a possibility to ruin the turbo and engine depending on driving conditions. There are several forums on what to look for in buying a 7.3 so feel free to search away. Congrats on whichever 7.3 you purchase!

Here's a link to get you started: This is a high powered website created just for Ford Diesel and Powerstroke enthusiasts. Older Ford 6.9L and 7.3L International or IDI owners are also welcome - Search Results for Buying a 7.3

Last edited by AgTires4295; 11-13-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only mechanical differences between single wheel F-350 and F-250s are the size of the rear blocks.

Do you need the room of the crew cab? With 126K, if the ball joints haven't been done yet, they will need doing soon.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM

take the oil filler cap off while the engine is running and turn it upside down and put it back on the filler neck to check for blow by.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Do you need the room of the crew cab?
I was not necessarily looking for a crew. However, the extra space seems like a good idea if I am on the road a lot. Any reason to steer clear?

What I really want is something that has not been over-worked/plowed etc.

Quote:
take the oil filler cap off while the engine is running and turn it upside down and put it back on the filler neck to check for blow by.
That's something I would not have thought of. Thanks.

All great advice guys. Thank you.

Joe
Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavdog View Post
Any reason to steer clear?
Of a crew cab? No. Resale will be better too.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was able to revisit the 02 F350 and get a couple good pics and feedback from my mechanic.

Apparent issues:

Turbo orings leak (according to my mechanic).
Steering Damper
Surface rust on the pan

Any thoughts on treating this oil pan? I hear of some people using Marinetex.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss4p30e9hfvwg8w/IMG_5309.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pj8kvu7uuofab1/IMG_3498.jpg

I also found a 2-owner 06 F250 PSD with 100k for 15,000.00. Lariat supercab. Never plowed/beat up. Seems too good to be true. Autocheck seem fine as well. With a little care and modification, I understand the 6.0 to be near as good as the 7.3 with a better tranny and handling profile.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM

That surface rust isn't bad at all... I'd hit it with a wire wheel, and a high temp rust stopping paint (think BBQ paint).

The 6.0 can be made into a decent motor... after $3-4000 in aftermarket parts, then you still have to worry about the injectors and FICM going out.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good points Zach. The owner of the 2006 mentioned that the EEC and FICM was serviced/replaced ($1000.00). Are these items a sign of other problems to come? Injector problems etc?

I have to get the thought out of my head that newer could be better. In reality, I know with the $ saved, I can probably make the 02 mint. Ahhh decisions!

Thx again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.