Converting to a PTO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Converting to a PTO

Not that I can afford it, but someday it would be nice to swap out my stock 4R100 trans with one that has the PTO. I run a hydraulic winch off my steering pump and it's kind of slow and under powered.

What's involved with the PTO tranny. I've never even seen a Powersmoke with a PTO. I don't even know how the output would hook up to the winch or even how it engages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM

I'm researching this myself right now as I'm currently truck shopping. From what I understand every ZF6 (the stock manual 6 speed) has a pto port. A small number of 4R100's do as well if I understand correctly.

I'm not worried about the 4R100's personally because I'm only interested in buying a manual to begin with. But yours might possibly already be setup for it, though I believe auto 4x4's never have it.

From that point you'll need the pto pump to attach to it and whatever hydraulic plumbing you want to take from there.

Here's a link for a reputable hydraulic pump supplier, Parker.

Edit: here's a picture of the zf6, you can see the PTO port cover near the bottom with 6 bolts holding it on.

Last edited by SierraStroker; 11-24-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM

I wonder what it all looks like with the pump assembly mounted on the tranny.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Well hopefully I'll be able to show you that soon on my soon to be built work/play-rig.

Of course when I say soon I mean sometime in the next 6 months lol.

Having a direct drive hydraulic pump is going to be awesome though. Here's a few things I'd like to be doing with it...

-Dump bed kit
-Hydraulic quick connects for whatever pto implements I might use (chipper, splitter, tiller, etc)
-Hydraulic air compressor
-Hydraulic motor with belt system to connect to salvaged inverter I have from a dead generator
...said motor could also be used to run a rope tow for my backcountry snowboarding addiction, or re-geared to do faster pulls for urban snowboarding/skating/wakeboarding
-Hydraulic winch
-Snow plow (if I end up moving to tahoe this winter)
-Hydraulic jacks

I still need to do a lot of research on equipment and optimal setup. What I'm trying to figure out now is if the tranny has a way to clutch the pto's output so I can turn the pump on and off or if I need to go about some other means of disconnecting it so its not constantly dragging on the engine while driving.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 PM

any idea of what the PTO gear pattern is on the zf-6? I have a forward/reverse box I would like to install for a 10k winch.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 PM

No sorry. Could I get some more info on the box you're talking about though? Pictures would be great if you can too.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 AM

Ill get some pictures later.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraStroker View Post
Well hopefully I'll be able to show you that soon on my soon to be built work/play-rig.

Of course when I say soon I mean sometime in the next 6 months lol.

Having a direct drive hydraulic pump is going to be awesome though. Here's a few things I'd like to be doing with it...

-Dump bed kit
-Hydraulic quick connects for whatever pto implements I might use (chipper, splitter, tiller, etc)
-Hydraulic air compressor
-Hydraulic motor with belt system to connect to salvaged inverter I have from a dead generator
...said motor could also be used to run a rope tow for my backcountry snowboarding addiction, or re-geared to do faster pulls for urban snowboarding/skating/wakeboarding
-Hydraulic winch
-Snow plow (if I end up moving to tahoe this winter)
-Hydraulic jacks

I still need to do a lot of research on equipment and optimal setup. What I'm trying to figure out now is if the tranny has a way to clutch the pto's output so I can turn the pump on and off or if I need to go about some other means of disconnecting it so its not constantly dragging on the engine while driving.
I dunno about a hydraulic air compressor or a truck mounted tiller, but most of the rest of what you're talking about is quite doable. I have a Pierce 2 ton dump bed on my truck already. It has a dedicated electric/hydraulic pump, but would work much better if it were connected to a PTO. I also have a Mile Marker 12,000 lb. hydraulic winch that currently runs off the power steering pump. I've got it mounted on the front of the truck on a reinforced trailer hitch. It's got quick disconnect fittings on everything so I can run it off the trailer hitch on the back of the truck, (when I get it plumbed that is). Mile Marker tells me it'll pull 18,000 lbs if it's hooked up to a PTO instead of the power steering pump. It would run much faster on the PTO too. I don't think there's any way to get it to run fast enough to pull a snowboarder at any kind of speed that would be fun.

All PTO's are designed to be used with the vehicle stationary. They're disconnected from the powertrain when you drive. Running them at high RPM would spell disaster.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM

Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone have more info on where to buy the specific parts needed to utilize a pto. I am specifically interested in using it to power a dump bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.