k&N filter :( - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
k&N filter :(

Bought my truck and drove it for about a month before i had to go back to sea. Never really looked into the k&n filters because of their "reputation." Now im sitting on a ship wondering how jacked up everything is, how long that filter has been on there, and how much this is going to cost me

Talked my girl friend into pulling the intake off, she will be doing that in the next two or 3 days. When ever it stops snowing(shes a keeper) she said shell tear it down. Shes going to take a million pics for me.

Ive put about 2k miles on it. The intake looks pretty new (but who knows), its the cone style filter (heard different things about wether that matters). Truck is a dually and was used by its last owner to haul boats back and forth from boat yard to his shop. He put about 5k miles on it in 2 years. before that it was in florida(he shipped it up).

I havent had any problems with the truck. When i bought it #8 would "stick" until it warmed up or you pushed the gas pedal down, would roll coal then be fine as soon as you let off. snap on scanner said #8 was a little out wack compared to the rest.

These k&n's how long we talking to dust the motor?I know there are a million variables involved in that. Thing still runs and drives fine, but diesels are a tough animals. Guess ill just have to wait till the gf sends me pics to see if i buy 3k worth of **** sitting in my online shopping cart or i look for a new motor, or slap a for sale sticker on it.

Cone filter? box style? Any difference in their ability to let dirt through as far as k&Ns go? I dont head home for at LEAST another month so you can imagine how bad im stewing over this.

Ill keep you posted on what i find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:36 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Dont strees man! When I got my 7.3 the company who had it before me was mixing sand and what not pre concrete at their plant. So their stuff had cleanable filters. My 7.3 had a K&N filter for 100k. I took it off first day I had it but it didnt cause an issue.

I would never buy one for my 7.3 (or anything diesel) but more than likely you didnt do anything. I wouldnt stress and just address it when you get back.

Youre waaaaay over thinking it.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM

haha thanks for the advice, You know how it is. You read all these horror stories and sit and stew over them. Even worse when your thousands of miles away and you cant check it.

appreciate the advice.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 PM

You arent going to hurt anything with that few miles.

As for #8, it will always be the red headed step child compared to the others, because it is actually a different injector than the other 7. Sounds like it could be having some issues, but do some more investigating before you replace it. Dont rely on the scanner alone.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOx4 View Post
You arent going to hurt anything with that few miles.

As for #8, it will always be the red headed step child compared to the others, because it is actually a different injector than the other 7. Sounds like it could be having some issues, but do some more investigating before you replace it. Dont rely on the scanner alone.

goign to do a buzz test when i get home. I was already anticipating changing them out for stage 1's. but we shall see when i get home.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 PM

i run a K&N
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Not according to your signature you dont.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM

The afe filter was messed up from the previous own so I just put a k&n on the afe intake system. Works great. Gets dirty quick though.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Ahh okay. Time to update that sig then. Or get a new filter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.