any body have a wiring diagram? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
any body have a wiring diagram?

I have a manual with a wiring diagram but left it at home.

I'm going to work on the truck tonight after work in a warm shop vs the cold outside.

Anyone have a picture of the wiring diagram of the radio, power windows, ignition system, or fuse panel?

My accessory delayed relay inst working and have no radio, dome lights or radio.

Need to try to fix it.

Seems like the relay has no power to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There were some changes during the '01 run, you should post the Year of your truck....

See if this helps -> https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...iring-diagrams
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
There were some changes during the '01 run, you should post the Year of your truck....

See if this helps -> https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...iring-diagrams
2003 ford f250
Old 11-07-2012, 01:10 PM

That's your diagram then

Download the .PDF, open it with Adobe Reader and you should be able to Zoom In and make sense of it all!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Maybe someone can help me even understand how the 5-pin relay works?

and even tell me what the voltage rating is for each pin on that relay when the ignition is turned on?

Its relay #306
Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM

I don't see the relay in this diagram but, here's what the typical 5-pins are for...

You have 2 connections (85 & 86) for the coil that, when energized, produce a magnetic field and cause the relay to "trip" and flow current through two other connections (30 & 87). The fifth connector (87a) is what the supply (30) is connected to when the coil is not energized.

So, you connect the power you want to send somewhere to the #30 and it goes to two possible places;

#87a (Normally Closed) and connected to #30 when shut-down
#87 (Normally Open) and connected to #30 when current is flowing through #85 & #86

Then, what it is that relays are for, you either Send or Interrupt the flow of a larger amount of current by using a very small amount of current through the electromagnet coil that physically Moves a switch inside.

#85 (Coil) can be either Ground (-) or Batt (+) ( just so it's the opposite of what you're doing at #86)
#86 (Coil) same thing, the "Ignition Key" or "Trigger" or "Whatever" it is that's supposed to control the relay and supplies the path of electricity to flow through that coil.

The coil wires have to @12v but the other three are just a switch and can handle whatever the contacts are rated for...

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-07-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I don't see the relay in this diagram but, here's what the typical 5-pins are for...

You have 2 connections (85 & 86) for the coil that, when energized, produce a magnetic field and cause the relay to "trip" and flow current through two other connections (30 & 87). The fifth connector (87a) is what the supply (30) is connected to when the coil is not energized.

So, you connect the power you want to send somewhere to the #30 and it goes to two possible places;

#87a (Normally Closed) and connected to #30 when shut-down
#87 (Normally Open) and connected to #30 when current is flowing through #85 & #86

Then, what it is that relays are for, you either Send or Interrupt the flow of a larger amount of current by using a very small amount of current through the electromagnet coil that physically Moves a switch inside.

#85 (Coil) can be either Ground (-) or Batt (+) ( just so it's the opposite of what you're doing at #86)
#86 (Coil) same thing, the "Ignition Key" or "Trigger" or "Whatever" it is that's supposed to control the relay and supplies the path of electricity to flow through that coil.

The coil wires have to @12v but the other three are just a switch and can handle whatever the contacts are rated for...
So it almost sounds like that power isn't getting to one of the pins to flip the relay on
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Yea but realize, it may be that there is power to one side of the coil and what switches it is a way Ground that power and complete the circuit. That's actually the way a lot of stuff gets controlled by the PCM. The computer supplies a Ground Path to activate the relay (that's the way your Glow Plug relay works). Again, it's about using just a little power, like what's able to flow through the PCM, to control Big Draw items with the use of a relay.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM

OK I think I've found you some helpful info to trace this down.

Get the second .pdf down (called 2002_Super_Duty_Wiring_Manual-1.pdf) here -> https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...uty-electrical

Again open in Adobe, goto Edit, Search, and search for the word "delay". There are several pages of that relay and what it's connected to.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
OK I think I've found you some helpful info to trace this down.

Get the second .pdf down (called 2002_Super_Duty_Wiring_Manual-1.pdf) here -> https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...uty-electrical

Again open in Adobe, goto Edit, Search, and search for the word "delay". There are several pages of that relay and what it's connected to.

Before I forget, this is the reading I got off the truck.

I found a diagram of a 5 pin relay.
On the diagram that I have attached and from you guys have explained is that power can come in from 85 or 86 and the other side is grounded.
When energized, it trips 30 which is the switch to hit 87. Correct? which then completes the circuit.

This is what I don't under stand. It seems to me like the relay is backwards.

Truck off:

#85 has 12.54 (pink wire)
all the rest are at 0.

Truck on:
#85 is at 12.28
#87 is at 12.27

WHen I bought this truck, it looked like someone had bypassed the relay into a differnt circuit of some sort maybe cause of a burnt wire.

My problem is that the power going to #85 on the relay, is coming from the #30 slot from the relay plug on the fuse panel.
the #87 is brown
Green is the #86 going to ground. And #30 is the yellow wire.

So how can It be pulling power from the actual switch slot its self.

Does this make sense?
Attached Thumbnails
any body have a wiring diagram?-images.jpg   any body have a wiring diagram?-100_0500.jpg  

Last edited by irishluck; 11-07-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.