At what time does it come? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy At what time does it come? OPEN AGAIN!!!!

Hello,

I'm in a discussion with my mechanic because the truck got the SES light and the scanner got code P1316.
I drove to the mechanic with almost no power and then I could stop and start the engine pretty well. It ran on 4 cylinders (in my opinion), but it ran.
By the time the mechanic had time to inspect the truck, it was 4 days later, so the engine was cold and he couldn't start it anymore.

He says that once the code P1316 got a reset, the code didn't occur anymore, so he thinks that the UVCH is good. I'm telling him that it's probably because the engine can't be started anymore, but he says that it should give the code as soon as he tries to start it. FYI: the starter does turn well and the batteries are good, but the engine only gives a hard knocking sound, but doesn't start.

Who is right? At which moment does a code set and at what time does the SES light come on? As soon as starting, or when running?

He didn't remove the covers yet because he thought the problem was somewhere else, but will do that tomorrow because I asked him to do that instead of searching through other things. He thinks it's not the UVCH while I'm pretty convinced that this is exactly my problem.

The problem is that I'm from Europe and we don't have Powerstroke engines/experts over here...

I'm writing too much... in a nutshell: code on startup or while running?

Thanks for the info,
Mark

Last edited by Mark_be; 11-08-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Problem NOT solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First - FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC!!!

Your guy does Not know this engine...

A P1316 is an IDM code that's telling you you need to run a "Buzz Test" for the IDM to resolve the specific codes that will direct you to what's wrong. You certainly sound as if you were running on 4clys and the UVCH would be the first thing that would be suspect.

Here's a good vid you should share with your, ill-informed, mechanic

http://www.youtube.com/v/GHwjEfJtM_g&hl
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
First - FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC!!!

Your guy does Not know this engine...
That's the problem: there's nobody that knows these engines around here.

I've shown him this exact video.

I've also kept on searching and found the IDM to be the next suspect?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM

You don't want to guess Get it on a scanner that will do the Buzz Test and be able to retrieve the IDM codes that it generates...
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 AM

First of all: thanks for everyones input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Get it on a scanner that will do the Buzz Test and be able to retrieve the IDM codes that it generates...
Like I said, it's not that simple, because I live in Belgium where only 5 people drive a 7.3 which were all imported from the US. Because of that hardly any mechanic around here knows anything about specific 7.3 problems and systems and who knows if anyone around here has this specific scanner and if somebody does have it: how to find that person.

5 People is as figure of speech, but to give a real world example: it's been 2 years ago that I've seen another superduty than mine and I don't even know if that was a 7.3.

About this scanner: does it actually call "buzz test" on the scanner? The mechanic has some kind of box that's connected to a laptop. I've looked over his shoulder many times, but have never seen "buzz test". If I saw it, I would have asked immediately because I've had starting issues and running rough before. Starting was solved by a new (denso) starter, the slightly shaking is still unsolved to this point.

If it's not called "buzz test", what's the official name for this test?

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 AM

SOLVED!!!

Just got the good news call. The passenger side UVCH was loose and they did the 25 cent fix on that side (probably with a washer) and will open the drivers side to do the same thing.

OH YEAH!!! This is a HUGE relief!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Glad to hear it was that simple!

If I was in your position, I would seriously consider acquiring something like an AutoEnginuity Diagnostic Scanner so you can resolve future issues like this for yourself. It's not that expensive (@ $350 US), and if you find those other "5 owners" you might be able to make it pay for itself
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Well, I actually yelled victory too soon. Reopened the topic.

The mechanic called me it was fixed because he actually found the disconnected plug under the valve cover. At that time he couldn't start the truck because he still had to reinstall everything he dismantled (is this correct english?) for this job and by the time I got there, he had the truck running again, but was still kind of missing and still had the SES light. It now runs on 7 cylinders or so.

He's going to replace the valve cover gaskets and the wire harnesses, but has to order them in the US, so I'll have to be patient again. Shipping and (growing roots at) customs might take up to 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.