Looking for charging system schematics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for charging system schematics

I have a situation where I am swapping an early 99 engine into a 2002 truck. I don't have the 2002 engine wiring harness so I am using the 99 harness. There are some pin differences. The ones I can see are where spots don't have pins in them and there are only a few of those differences. From what I can tell, one of those pin changes is related to the alternator. I decided to give it a try and the truck runs seemingly fine aside from not charging. The battery light stays on and I have no output from the alternator. Investigating this I looked on autozone to see if the alternator part numbers are the same. They do show the same for 99 and 2002. But in 2003 with a 7.3 they are showing an externally regulated alternator. That seems strange but I thought maybe they made that change in late 02 or something. When I looked at other parts websites, they still claimed that they were internally regulated so I don't know if that is a mistake on autozone.

My main goal here is to get some wiring schematics specifically for the charging system that definitely shows wiring colors and it would be great if I could get the connector diagrams as well showing pin positions in the connectors. I think it's all available on all data but I don't have access to it. Can anyone help me out and supply some wiring schematics and any other info they may know?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Can anyone help me out here? This is the only thing keeping this truck from seeing he road.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm looking for the same thing without luck at the moment....
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 AM

I found the info. If you give me am email address to send to I will email it to you. It's for a 2002
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews View Post
I found the info. If you give me am email address to send to I will email it to you. It's for a 2002
Is this what you're trying to keep to yourself?

https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...iring-diagrams

Why would you just not share that info for the next guy????
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the link NoRalph.
What I have is a 99 F550, I've checked both small wires (switched and censor) with a multimeter, they read roughly the same as the batteries. However if I try any sort of load on them, eg. my test light, voltage is gone and they will not power the light.
Ohms test shows no resistance between alternator and connector on valve cover. After that I have traced the switch wire to the batt. light in the dash.......quite frustrated at this point
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure what it is you're seeing, you have battery voltage (engine OFF or ON?) at the Alt's sm terminals. BUT if you add the load of the testlight the voltage drops to "0". Does the light come on for a split-second and dim orange and then to nothing too?

Again, I never tried that, not sure why that would happen... But, of course, if the engine is running you should see more than battery voltage (after the GPs are off and the PCM activates the charging system).

If this happens with the engine OFF, maybe the voltage reg is protecting something? A diode in the circuit?

In either case, if it were me, I'd pull the Alt and take it to someplace with a tester that spins it up and loads it (like most of the Auto Parts chains).

Here's another link (it has block diagrams), but unfortunately it too is for an '02 (I have an '02 so these are the ones I save ). In the mid '01 run there was a electrical revision, I'm not sure how it effected the charging system, might not apply to your truck but have a look anyway...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...NGEzMzI1NmNmMQ
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again, I will look through this.
I've tested this with the engine off, the two wire plug unplugged from the alternator (if I connect the pins in the alternator directly to battery with engine running, it does charge (alternator is brand new))
With the key off power is at the orange wire only, key on power at both. Adding the test light drops voltage to 0, the light will not light, flicker, glow, nothing.
I will add, for it may have significance, that prior to replacing the alternator, the old one started over charging and seemed to be draining the batteries. then it quit charging all together. I wonder now maybe the old alternator was still good
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looking through other posts, I noticed that it was mentioned the alternator output is off while the glow plugs are on? Is this the case or did I misunderstand?
If this is the case it's worth noting that around the same time the alternator started to act up, it became harder to start, as though the glow plugs were not working.
This didn't happen gradually, more like all of a sudden thing.
Thanks again for any help.
No charging help!!!

Last edited by Lincoln_Rig; 12-02-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM

hope this will help you Lincoln. here is the 2000 generator testing procedures from the service manual.

SM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F-Super Duty-00 single generator testing.pdf (247.1 KB, 59 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.